[okfn-br] Fwd: [gvadvocacy] Requesting your individual, institutional signature and wondering if GV Advox could-should sign: Open Gov and Surveillance

Heloisa Pait heloisa.pait em gmail.com
Sábado Novembro 2 11:38:20 UTC 2013

Li com atenção o texto e sou favorável à assinatura.

Prós:
1. de modo geral concordo com o texto, que pede fiscalização sobre
surveillance sem demonizar ninguém.
2. se a gente não assinar isso, corre o risco de ficar irrelevante no debate

Contra:
3. citação da Dilma como baluarte da defesa de direitos individuais
enfraquece e politiza o texto
4. não sei como ficou o texto final nosso, se incluimos ou não a questão da
privacidade no nosso escopo. Esse abaixo-assinado inclui questões de
transparência (nosso escopo e parte importante do abaixo-assinado) mas
também de privacidade.

------------------------------------

We, the undersigned civil society organisations, affirm our deep commitment
to the goals of the Open Government Partnership, which in its declaration
endorsed “more transparent, accountable, responsive and effective
government” founded on the principles of the Universal Declaration of Human
Rights.

We join other civil society organisations, human rights groups, academics
and ordinary citizens in expressing our grave concern over allegations that
governments around the world, including many OGP members, have been
routinely intercepting and retaining the private communications of entire
populations,
*in secret, without particularised warrants and with little or no
meaningful oversight.*
*CONCORDO*
Such practices allegedly include the routine exchange of “foreign”
surveillance data, bypassing domestic laws that restrict governments’
ability to spy on their own citizens.

Such practices erode the checks and balances on which accountability
depends, and have a deeply chilling effect on freedom of expression,
information and association, without which the ideals of open government
have no meaning.

As Brazil’s President, Dilma Rousseff, recently said at the United Nations,
“In the absence of the right to privacy, there can be no true freedom of
expression and opinion, and therefore no effective democracy.” (HIPOCRISIA
POIS ESSE GOVERNO NÃO TEM CUIDADO COM PRIVACIDADE)

Activities that restrict the right to privacy, including communications
surveillance,
*can only be justified when they are prescribed by law, are necessary to
achieve a legitimate aim, and are proportionate to the aim pursued.*
*CONCORDO*
[1] Without firm legislative and judicial checks on the surveillance powers
of the executive branch, and robust protections for the media and public
interest whistleblowers, abuses can and will occur.

We call on all governments, and specifically OGP members, to:

*recognise the need to update understandings of existing privacy and human
rights law to reflect modern surveillance technologies and techniques.*
*commit in their OGP Action Plans to complete by October 2014 a review of
national laws, with the aim of defining reforms needed to regulate
necessary, legitimate and proportional State involvement in communications
surveillance; to guarantee freedom of the press; and to protect
whistleblowers who lawfully reveal abuses of state power.*
*commit in their OGP Action Plans to transparency on the mechanisms for
surveillance, on exports of surveillance technologies, aid directed towards
implementation of surveillance technologies, and agreements to share
citizen data among states.*
*CONCORDO*

Abraço,
Heloisa