[okfn-br] Fwd: What's Happening at the Web We Want - August 2014

Carolina Rossini carolina.rossini em gmail.com
Segunda Agosto 25 15:10:54 UTC 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Web We Want <grants em webwewant.org>
Date: Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 10:27 AM
Subject: What's Happening at the Web We Want - August 2014
To: carolina.rossini em gmail.com

            View this email in your browser
<http://us8.campaign-archive2.com/?u=b3c8e6e91fe1905e99f8b59fd&id=8b708ee288&e=02bc212805>
 Issue 3, August 2014

*WEB WE WANT*

*A global movement to defend, claim and change the future of the Web.*
                        *Open Call for Contributions for the Web We Want
Festival!*

To celebrate the Web’s 25th birthday, we are collaborating with London’s
Southbank Centre to create the Web We Want Festival. Inspired by the Web We
Want’s global campaign for a free, open and universal Web, the festival
will celebrate how the Web has changed our lives and will explore solutions
to current challenges facing the Web. The first weekend of this exciting
new three-part event will take place September 26-28 and we are looking to
YOU to design the festival content. Learn more about the event, read the
open call for participation, contribute your ideas and join us there
<http://webfoundation.us8.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=b3c8e6e91fe1905e99f8b59fd&id=30976e864c&e=02bc212805>
!
               *WEB WE WANT SMALL GRANT WINNER SPOTLIGHT*

*CriptoRally! Learn About Online Privacy with Rancho Electrónico*

Supported by funding from a Web We Want Small Grant, Mexican digital rights
organisation Rancho Electrónico is hosting three CriptoRally events this
month. At these CriptoRally workshops, participants learn digital security
best practices, encryption technologies to protect online privacy, and how
best to promote the principles of an Internet that is free, open, diverse,
accessible and neutral. Learn more about Rancho Electrónico’s work
<http://webfoundation.us8.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=b3c8e6e91fe1905e99f8b59fd&id=79df2d9473&e=02bc212805>,
see what you've missed in previous CriptoRallies
<http://webfoundation.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b3c8e6e91fe1905e99f8b59fd&id=9d99a39d28&e=02bc212805>
and join them for the remainder of this month's CriptoRallies
<http://webfoundation.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b3c8e6e91fe1905e99f8b59fd&id=2cd5eb564c&e=02bc212805>
!
              *NEWS FROM AROUND THE WORLD*
                     *Creating an African Declaration for Internet Rights
and Freedoms*

The Web We Want has joined a number of like-minded civil society
organisations to develop an African Declaration for Internet Rights and
Freedoms. This Declaration will seek to guide the development of the
Internet across Africa, ensuring that human rights are respected online,
and that the Web enables and empowers African citizens to meet their social
and economic needs and goals. As our African Regional Coordinator Nnenna
Nwakanma explores in her blog post, "Beginning a Long Walk to Internet
Rights and Freedoms in Africa
<http://webfoundation.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b3c8e6e91fe1905e99f8b59fd&id=bf83dc09bc&e=02bc212805>",
we are committed to this Declaration, and invite others to read the draft
<http://webfoundation.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b3c8e6e91fe1905e99f8b59fd&id=60e50e4e8e&e=02bc212805>,
learn more about the process behind it, and join us in endorsing the final
version of the Declaration when it is released in September.
              *Internet Governance after NETmundial*

Ahead of our participation at both the World Economic Forum/ICANN
NETmundial Initiative and the global Internet Governance Forum, Web
Foundation CEO Anne Jellema explores how we can best work to create and
govern the free and open Web We Want. In her blog post, “The Fall of
Internet Governance?
<http://webfoundation.us8.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=b3c8e6e91fe1905e99f8b59fd&id=32a9c8787a&e=02bc212805>”,
she lays out the proposals that the Web Foundation will be bringing to
these Internet governance forums to ensure that international commitment
leverages real and effective change on the ground.
              *UPDATES FROM OUR PARTNER ORGANISATIONS*
               This year’s MozFest - Mozilla’s annual festival dedicated to
forging the future of the global, open Web - will be held October 24-26 in
London. Interested in running a peer-to-peer session about the Web We Want
at the event? Propose your idea here
<http://webfoundation.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b3c8e6e91fe1905e99f8b59fd&id=4be0d769c5&e=02bc212805>
before August 29!
------------------------------
On September 1, ahead of the global Internet Governance Forum (IGF) in
Istanbul, the Alliance for Progressive Communications, Tactical Technology
Collective, and the Web Foundation will host DiscoTech Istanbul
<http://webfoundation.us8.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=b3c8e6e91fe1905e99f8b59fd&id=b81837bd0f&e=02bc212805>—
a peer-learning event on censorship and circumvention, problems, and
solutions for Internet rights.
------------------------------
In addition to participating in the upcoming global IGF in Istanbul, the
Web We Want campaign and a number of our member organisations have come
together to organise the Internet Ungovernance Forum
<http://webfoundation.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b3c8e6e91fe1905e99f8b59fd&id=804d8c9823&e=02bc212805>.
This parallel event to the IGF will take place September 4-5 in Istanbul,
convening parties that are working to create a free, secure and neutral
Internet to focus on urgent issues facing the Web today, including privacy,
online freedom and government censorship.
------------------------------
The Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs annually awards the Human Rights
Tulip to a human rights defender who promotes and supports human rights in
innovative ways. Nominations for the 2014 award are open through September
7. Learn more about the award and nominate a deserving organisation using
the Web to advance human rights
<http://webfoundation.us8.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=b3c8e6e91fe1905e99f8b59fd&id=5fc2651746&e=02bc212805>!

If you'd like to include an announcement in a future newsletter, please
write to grants em webwewant.org
<grants em webwewant.org?subject=Newsletter%20announcement>.

<http://webfoundation.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b3c8e6e91fe1905e99f8b59fd&id=c7adda2321&e=02bc212805>
Tweet
<http://webfoundation.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b3c8e6e91fe1905e99f8b59fd&id=dd0c1abbfb&e=02bc212805>
<http://us8.forward-to-friend.com/forward?u=b3c8e6e91fe1905e99f8b59fd&id=8b708ee288&e=02bc212805>
<http://us8.forward-to-friend.com/forward?u=b3c8e6e91fe1905e99f8b59fd&id=8b708ee288&e=02bc212805>
<http://webfoundation.us8.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=b3c8e6e91fe1905e99f8b59fd&id=0c78dd89ac&e=02bc212805>
+1
<http://webfoundation.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b3c8e6e91fe1905e99f8b59fd&id=d3d0c634d1&e=02bc212805>
<http://webfoundation.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b3c8e6e91fe1905e99f8b59fd&id=dcc8890264&e=02bc212805>
Share
<http://webfoundation.us8.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=b3c8e6e91fe1905e99f8b59fd&id=13acc88ae3&e=02bc212805>
                  [image:
Twitter]
<http://webfoundation.us8.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=b3c8e6e91fe1905e99f8b59fd&id=0c3c656684&e=02bc212805>
Twitter
<http://webfoundation.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b3c8e6e91fe1905e99f8b59fd&id=0cd0b040df&e=02bc212805>
   [image:
Web We Want Hub]
<http://webfoundation.us8.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=b3c8e6e91fe1905e99f8b59fd&id=038e477aa7&e=02bc212805>
  Web
We Want Hub
<http://webfoundation.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b3c8e6e91fe1905e99f8b59fd&id=c80c192419&e=02bc212805>
                    *Copyright
© World Wide Web Foundation (2014) under a Creative Commons Attribution
License 4.0 *

unsubscribe from this list
<http://webfoundation.us8.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=b3c8e6e91fe1905e99f8b59fd&id=828041910b&e=02bc212805&c=8b708ee288>
update subscription preferences