[okfn-br] Fwd: [school-of-open-announce] School of Open: What we did in 2013

Carolina Rossini carolina.rossini em gmail.com
Quinta Janeiro 2 17:57:16 UTC 2014

muito legal o anuncio abaixo e tambem o anexo com um timeline

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jane Park <janepark em creativecommons.org>
Date: Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 5:00 PM
Subject: [school-of-open-announce] School of Open: What we did in 2013
To: school-of-open-announce em googlegroups.com

*Full blog post at: https://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/41423
<https://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/41423>*

Here’s another end of year list: all the awesome
things<http://creativecommons.org/tag/school-of-open>the School of
Open community accomplished in 2013. Last year, we
highlighted <https://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/36078> the work we
put into materializing School of Open as a concrete entity with goals and
people involved. This year, we actually launched the
School<http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/37179>with a full set
of online courses and kick-off events around the world!

But we didn’t stop there. All year long, our volunteers have been
contributing in so many fantastic and unexpected ways that it’s been hard
to wrap our brains around all the activity. So here’s my attempt at
collecting and distilling everything here, as a teaser for the new School
of Open landing page that will happen in 2014.
[image: SOO breakdown]

The biggest thing you should note about the School of Open is that it is *no
longer just a set of online courses sitting on the P2PU platform*. It is a
global community and movement of volunteers developing and running online
or hybrid *courses*, *face-to-face workshops*, and *real world training
programs* — all with the purpose of helping people *do what they already do*
*better* with the aid of open resources and tools.
In 2013, we

   - Launched 12 stand-alone
courses<https://p2pu.org/en/schools/school-of-open/#stand-alone>for
anyone to take at any time, with or without others.
   - Ran a total of 11 facilitated
courses<https://p2pu.org/en/schools/school-of-open/#facilitated>on
topics such as: Copyright 4 Educators, Designing Collaborative
   Workshops, Open Science, CC licensing, Writing Wikipedia Articles, and Why
   Open?
   - Conducted initial research on the impact of some of these courses and
   completed a research
residency<https://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/40393>with the OER
Research Hub in Milton Keynes, England
   - Hosted multiple workshops, course sprints, and other events across 5
   continents (in countries like England, Germany, Kenya, China, Sudan,
   Argentina, South Africa, the U.S.)
   - Started School of Open Kenya <http://teamopen.cc/kasyoka/>, an after
   school program for high school students teaching about open educational
   resources, CC licenses, and the open culture that they engender
   - Put on an engineering and design
challenge<https://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/39057>incorporating
open source and CC licensing education for university
   students in China
   - Ran a two-week OER summer camp for kids on Luxi island, an island in
   rural China (more info to follow in a guest blog post)

   [image: oer summer camp]<http://creativecommons.net.cn/2013/07/11/2013-7-11/>
   OER summer camp on Luxi island ( ZHU Renkai / CC
BY<https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/cn>
   )
   - Launched WikiProject Open<https://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/40105>,
   a community of new and experienced Wikipedians, dedicated to improving
   Wikipedia’s coverage of all things “open” and to using openly licensed
   content to improve Wikipedia articles in general
   - Got the School of Open’s Writing Wikipedia Articles course adopted as
   part of a formal university
course<https://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/40460>(the University
of Mississippi’s “Open Educational Resources and Practices”)
   - Piloted P2PU badges <http://badges.p2pu.org/> for 7 of our facilitated
   courses! For examples, check out this Remix OER
badge<http://badges.p2pu.org/en/badge/view/119/>and this Intro
   to Open Science Open Access badge<http://badges.p2pu.org/en/badge/view/110/>
   - Built a human timeline of the open education
space<http://timemapper.okfnlabs.org/okfnedu/open-education-timeline>!
   Which we want anyone and everyone to contribute
to<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Anv5eAZeR0ERdGh3YmVqd0xBU1hveVNfLWtGVEdLaVE&usp=sharing>
   - Helped turn a “collaborations across the open space” session at
   Mozfest into a funded part-time position that will help coordinate our open
   communities! (more info at this
pad<http://pad.okfn.org/p/Open_Communities_Group>
   )
   - Developed support
resources<http://info.p2pu.org/get-involved/create-a-course/>for
course facilitators, including this comprehensive
   tip sheet <https://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/40184> by a
   facilitator with a 95% retention rate
   - Created a couple videos for online conferences, like this one for K-12
   educators <https://vimeo.com/76496537> and this one for Open Ed
Week<https://vimeo.com/60035152>
   - Showcased School of Open projects by CC
affiliates<http://www.slideshare.net/janeatcc/expanding-the-school-of-open-affiliate-showcase>at
the Creative Commons Global Summit in Buenos Aires…

 …and more, all of which you can check out in detail on the CC blog at
http://creativecommons.org/tag/school-of-open.
In 2014, we will

   - Launch our third round of facilitated courses in March. Sign up to be
   notified <http://groups.google.com/group/school-of-open-announce> when
   registration opens
   - Revamp the School of Open landing page <http://schoolofopen.org/> to
   better reflect our multi-layered activity
   - Build out courses in different languages. So far volunteers have
   expressed interest in translating courses into Spanish, Romanian, Hindi,
   Swedish, Chinese, Korean, Dutch, French, Arabic, German, Portuguese,
   Danish, Finnish, Hebrew… yes, we’ve got our work cut out for us!
   - Expand current training programs to other regions; for example, we
   hope to have similar programs to School of Open Kenya in place in Ghana,
   Nigeria, and Tanzania
   - Start new courses and training programs in South Africa, Colombia,
   Uruguay, El Salvador, Argentina, and more!
   - Collaborate with our fellow open organizations such as OKFN, Mozilla,
   Wikimedia, P2PU, and more!
   - Do more research! And completing a report of our findings with the OER
   Research Hub
   - Get more SOO courses adopted as part of formal university courses
   - Secure professional development credit for teachers/librarians taking
   Copyright 4 Educators in Australia (and elsewhere)
   - Collaborate with the California School Librarians Association (CSLA)
   to increase CC and OER education in K-12 schools!
   [image: fireworks]<https://secure.flickr.com/photos/hades2k/8330884841/in/photostream/>

   *Fireworks* / Jack-Benny / CC
BY-SA<https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/>
   - Run more workshops, especially one for SOO volunteers to get together
   and grow their respective projects
   - Take more pictures. We didn’t have enough this year!

And I could go on, but I’ll stop there. On behalf of the School of Open
community, we wish you a Happy Holidays and a wonderful New Year!

If you would like to join us in our endeavors to provide free education
opportunities on all things open, introduce yourself at the School of Open
Google Group <https://groups.google.com/group/school-of-open> (separate
from this announcement list) and check out a
course<http://schoolofopen.org/>(or two or three).

--
http://schoolofopen.org
---

*Carolina Rossini*
*Project Director, Latin America Resource Center*
Open Technology Institute
*New America Foundation*
//
http://carolinarossini.net/