[okfn-br] Fwd: [od-discuss] Open Definition 2.1 final draft

Everton Zanella Alvarenga tom em okfn.org.br
Sexta Julho 24 17:39:53 UTC 2015

A quem interessar possa, uma melhoria sobre a open definition (definição de
aberto) está aberta na lista de e-mails da Open Knowledge Internacional.

Tom
---------- Mensagem encaminhada ----------
De: "Herb Lainchbury" <herb.lainchbury em gmail.com>
Data: 17/07/2015 15:30
Assunto: [od-discuss] Open Definition 2.1 final draft
Para: "od-discuss em lists.okfn.org" <od-discuss em lists.okfn.org>, "Open
Knowledge Foundation discussion list" <okfn-discuss em lists.okfn.org>

After further discussion, consideration and much input from various people
in the community I think we're ready to consider the current Open
Definition draft 2.1 dev for acceptance.

You can find the current draft 2.1 dev version here:
https://github.com/okfn/opendefinition/blob/master/source/open-definition-
2.1-dev.markdown

The actual diff can be viewed here: http://git.io/vm6W8
(note: this diff includes all changes to the repository so use the "Files
Changed" tab to see just the changes to the
"source/open-definition-2.1-dev.markdown" file.

The main discussions centred around the preamble as well as clauses 1.3,
2.2.3, 2.2.5 and 2.2.6.

Most of the issues addressed are also documented here:
https://github.com/okfn/opendefinition/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=label%3A2.1

Please pay particular attention to 1.3 in your review as that clause was
one of the main reasons for this update and we want to ensure it is as good
as we can make it.  See discussions here
<https://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/od-discuss/2014-November/thread.html> and
here <https://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/od-discuss/2014-November/thread.html>
and here <https://github.com/okfn/opendefinition/issues/68>.

An attribution clause has also been added to the definition to recognize
the work the definition is based on.

Please submit any further comments on the od-discuss list.

Please take this opportunity to raise any final objections to voting on
final acceptance of this draft.  If no objections are received I will call
for a vote in approximately one week.

Please disseminate this note further as you see fit and if you know of
another list that we should notify, please let me know.

Thank you,
Herb Lainchbury
Chair, Open Definition Advisory Council

----------

In summary, the changes from 2.0 to the current 2.1dev are:

Preamble

- reference to OSD changed to wikipedia

- change to summary section to simplify and improve clarity of the term
**license**

1.

- fixed formatting typo

1.2

- from shall to must and from preferable to should

1.3

- from "or" to "and"

- from "processed" to "fully processed"

- removed bulk suggestion - already covered in 1.2

- added *should* be provided in form preferred for making modifications to
it

2.

- added “should be compatible”

- fixed formatting typo

2.2

- changed shall to must

2.2.1

- added missing comma

2.2.3

-The **license** *may* require copies or derivatives of a licensed work to
remain under a license the same as or similar to the original.

+The **license** *may* require distributions of the work to remain under
the same license or a similar license.

2.2.5

-The **license** *may* require modified works to be made available in a
form preferred for further modification.

+The **license** *may* require that anyone distributing the work provide
recipients with access to the preferred form for making modifications.

2.2.6

-The **license** *may* prohibit distribution of the work in a manner where
technical measures impose restrictions on the exercise of otherwise allowed
rights.

+The **license** *may* require that distributions of the work remain free
of any technical measures that would restrict the exercise of otherwise
allowed rights.

Attribution
+The Open Definition was initially derived from the Open Source Definition,
which in turn was derived from the original Debian Free Software
Guidelines, and the Debian Social Contract of which they are a part, which
were created by Bruce Perens and the Debian Developers. Bruce later used
the same text in creating the Open Source Definition. This definition is
substantially derivative of those documents and retains their essential
principles. Richard Stallman was the first to push the ideals of software
freedom which we continue.

--
Herb