[okfn-br] Fwd: [OER-advocacy] How Much Do College Students Actually Pay For Textbooks?

Carolina Rossini carolina.rossini em gmail.com
Segunda Março 30 20:14:07 UTC 2015

precisamos deste tipo de pesquisa ai no Brasil ...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Cable Green <cable em creativecommons.org>
Date: Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 4:05 PM
Subject: [OER-advocacy] How Much Do College Students Actually Pay For
Textbooks?
To: OER Advocacy Coalition <oer-advocacy-coalition em googlegroups.com>

Greetings OER Friends:

*(1) *Please read: How Much Do College Students Actually Pay For Textbooks?
<http://mfeldstein.com/how-much-do-college-students-actually-pay-for-textbooks/>

My initial thoughts:

   - It needs a response - from US PIRGS?
   - It leaves out the analysis of the top 50 highest enrolled courses -
   the courses most students take - and where textbook costs are highest.
   - Phil also differentiates between 'Textbook Prices' and 'Student
   Expenditures'.  See the comment from Cynthia Alexander.

   - Arguing that textbook costs should be based on "expenditures" and not
      listed "prices" is problematic, I think.  Students should be able to have
      access to 100% of their learning resources on day 1 - at a reasonable /
      affordable price - and not have to share their textbook with
another friend
      - or comparison shop of the Internet to get access to their learning
      resources - or go without a textbook.

   - More important - when prices for textbooks are high - this
happens *(credit:
   US PIRGS):*

   - 2 in 3 - students say they decided against buying a textbook because
   the cost is too high
   - 1 in 2 - students say they have at some point taken fewer courses due
   to the cost of textbooks

*(2) *Has anyone in our community thought about putting up a web page that
has the following information (publicly available) for the highest enrolled
250 courses?

   - Name of highest enrollment 250 courses
   - Enrollments (in highest enrolled courses) by institution, state, nation
   - Most widely assigned text book (in highest enrolled courses)
   - Various retail prices of said textbook (from low to high, new vs. used
   vs. rental)
   - Link to and cost of open textbooks* (OpenStax, etc.) *($0) and/or link
   to comprehensive set of relevant OER.. for each of these highest enrolled
   courses

I've talked with many of you about #2.  I'm considering running a project
at CC to collect this data - first in the US - and then in other countries
as useful.

Is anyone else working on #2? Anyone have any of this data? Would this kind
of data be useful to you?

Once we had this data - I would be interested in discussing what a campaign
might look like to get this information into the hands of students,
faculty, state legislators, Dept. of Ed .... and possible partner with some
new allies: e.g., Road Trip Nation <http://roadtripnation.org/> and/or Young
Invincibles.
<http://younginvincibles.org/>

Thoughts?

Your colleague,

Cable

Cable Green, PhD
Director of Global Learning
Creative Commons
@cgreen <http://twitter.com/cgreen>
http://creativecommons.org/education
*reuse, revise, remix, redistribute** & retain*

*State of the Commons Report https://stateof.creativecommons.org/report
<https://stateof.creativecommons.org/report/>*

*Carolina Rossini *
*Vice President, International Policy*