[okfn-br] CFP Bayesian Applications Workshop @ UAI 2015

Rommel Novaes Carvalho rommel.carvalho em gmail.com
Segunda Maio 11 19:06:59 UTC 2015

Call for PapersUAI 2015 Bayesian Applications Workshop

*Note: submissions due at https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=baw2015
<https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=baw2015> by 18 May 2015.*

Continuing a successful tradition as part of the UAI conference
<http://auai.org/uai2015/>, the Twelfth Annual Bayesian Modeling
Applications Workshop will provide a forum for exchange about real-world
problems among applications practitioners, tool developers, and
researchers. The aim of the workshop is to foster discussion on the
challenges of building applications whilst considering stakeholders, user
interaction, tools, knowledge elicitation, learning, validation, system
integration, and deployment.

The theme of the Workshop has adapted from year to year, as real-world
problems change and technologies evolve to meet them. The frenzy to apply
conventional machine learning methods for commercial applications has the
danger of overwhelming Bayesian methods where they might be best applied.
Bayesian methods face a similar challenge to the one they faced a decade
ago by this community: To demonstrate their timeliness in the current
environment of intelligent systems and a long tail of related decision and
prediction tasks.

Submissions are solicited of real-world applications of Bayesian models and
computational methods, to be presented in oral or poster sessions. There
will also be opportunity to take part in discussions with invited speakers
and with a concluding panel about the state of the current application
environment. We encourage submissions from a broad spectrum of topics, with
a bias toward novel domains, including those that cross domains or
disciplines, on topics suggested by this list:

   - Problem representation, formulation, and model design;
   - Novel approaches for learning and inference with probabilistic
   graphical models, inspired by a real-world problem;
   - Combining machine learning, active learning, and elicitation of expert
   knowledge;
   - Tractable, scalable computational methods for complex and distributed
   models;
   - Bayesian approaches to classification, clustering, recommendations,
   personalization, search, advertising, and on-line so-called "A/B" testing;
   - Generative models for data cleaning, feature engineering, or fusion of
   different types of data;
   - Techniques for domains with missing, incomplete, large, heterogeneous,
   and unstructured data;
   - Extensions to relational data, causality, infinite domains, spatial or
   temporal reasoning.

Submissions will be peer reviewed and papers will be published online.
Final workshop papers will be selected with the goal of fostering
discussion of critical issues within the community of practice. BMAW 2015
will be a half-day workshop. All papers accepted to the BMAW will be
presented during the workshop and published in the workshop proceedings.
Authors of accepted technical papers will have 20 minutes to present their
work, while authors of accepted position papers will have a 10-minute slot
to share their ideas. After each presentation, 5 minutes will be allocated
to questions from the audience. Both technical and position papers will be
published in the BMAW Workshop proceedings, to be available after the UAI
2015 Conference.

Authors who submit a full paper, but wish to withhold it from publication
in this workshop, either because it contains references to proprietary
data, or because they wish to publish it later at a different venue, can
request that only the abstract be published.

We are running two review cycles, the main cycle, and an early, expedited
review cycle for authors who are ready to submit and need early
notification to be able to make travel arrangements. We request that
authors submit to the Main Review Cycle if at all possible.

Submissions to BAW2015 should adhere to UAI format
<http://auai.org/uai2015/formatting/formattingInstructions.pdf> and page
limits, and be submitted to https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=baw2015.
LaTeX and MS Word templates can be found on the UAI submission instructions
site <http://auai.org/uai2015/submissionInstructions.shtml>.

Final submissions for the proceedings must be accompanied by a signed copyright
release form
<http://c4i.gmu.edu/bmaw/2015/files/BMAW2015_CopyrightForm_CEUR.txt>.

Please see the Workshop website at https://c4i.gmu.edu/BMAW/2015/ for
updates on the Workshop. Questions about the Workshop should be sent to
baw2015 em easychair.org.
Early Review Cycle Dates

| ---------
| Friday, 24 April, 2015 | Early Submissions Due
| Tuesday, 12 May, 2015 | Early Author Notification
Main Review Cycle Dates

| ---------
| Friday, 15 May, 2015 | Abstracts Due
| Monday, 18 May, 2015 | Submissions Due
| Friday, 12 June, 2015 | Author Notification
Workshop Dates

| ---------
| Monday, 6 July, 2015 | Camera-ready copy due
| Thursday, 16 July, 2015 | Workshop Date (tentative)
Co-chairs:

John Mark Agosta
Microsoft Azure ML
johnmark.agosta em gmail.com

Rommel Novaes Carvalho University of Brasília / Brazil's Office of the
Comptroller General rommel.carvalho em gmail.com
Organizing Committee Members:

Russell Almond (Associate Professor, Florida State, USA) ralmond em fsu.edu,
Feng Chen (Assistant Professor, U. at Albany) fchen5 em albany.edu,
Fabio Cozman (Universidade de Sao Paulo, Brazil) fgcozman em usp.br,
Marek J. Druzdzel (University of Pittsburgh, USA; Bialystok University of
Technology, Poland) marek em sis.pitt.edu,
Pablo Hector Ibarguengoytia González pibar em iie.org.mx,
Jim Jones (Associate Professor, George Mason University, Fairfax, VA, USA)
jjonesu em gmu.edu,
Oscar Kipersztok (The Boeing Company, USA) oscar.kipersztok em boeing.com,
Branislav Kveton (Adobe Research) bkveton em yahoo.com,
Kathryn Laskey (Professor, George Mason University, Fairfax, VA, USA)
klaskey em gmu.edu,
Manuel Luque (UNED, Madrid) mluquega em gmail.com,
Ole Mengshoel (CMU) ole.mengshoel em sv.cmu.edu,
Ann Nicholson (Monash University/Bayesian Intelligence)
ann.nicholson em monash.edu,
Tomas Singliar (Amazon) singliar em gmail.com,
Luis Enrique Sucar (INAOE, Puebla, Mexico) esucar em inaoep.mx,
Charles R. Twardy (George Mason University, Fairfax, VA, USA)
ctwardy em gmu.edu,
Tom Walsh (Data Scientist, Kronos Incorporated, USA) thomasjwalsh em gmail.com

Best,
--
Dr. Rommel N. Carvalho
http://about.me/rommelnc