[okfn-br] Fwd: Highlights - In Memory of Michael Bauer | News from the fellowship | A new data learning platform

Everton Zanella Alvarenga tom em ok.org.br
Quinta Outubro 8 13:31:45 UTC 2015

Ao Michael.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: School of Data Newsletter <newsletter em schoolofdata.org>
Date: Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 10:11 AM
Subject: Highlights - In Memory of Michael Bauer | News from the fellowship
| A new data learning platform
To: Everton Zanella Alvarenga <everton.alvarenga em okfn.org>

[image: School of Data logo]
"School of Data is, and has always been, about people. About a community."
Community Newsletter
09-2015
[image: Michael Bauer holding a fan]
In Memory of Michael Bauer

The past three weeks, the data literacy community has been mourning the
loss of Michael Bauer. He has been one of the pillar of the School of Data
project, and so much more. Tributes have poured from all over the world
<https://sendy.okfn.org/l/2OOV8RpMR6xZluHQEAzGaA/QHE892szxVN763D18922qz2cB6yg/7lOceuNzcqpzCbA00AAF3A>,
testimony of the imprint that Michael has left through his work with
various communities, worldwide.
Read our tribute
<https://sendy.okfn.org/l/2OOV8RpMR6xZluHQEAzGaA/L892CsvOLyVEclKZF4IXGGOA/7lOceuNzcqpzCbA00AAF3A>
[image: screenshot of the training dispatch document]
Sharing training opportunities

The coordination team worked (super hard!) on a way to better share the
training opportunities we receive. The result: a transparent training
dispatch process.
See the wiki page
<https://sendy.okfn.org/l/2OOV8RpMR6xZluHQEAzGaA/tPsPAPUDCVSSWMMTqBf892Ag/7lOceuNzcqpzCbA00AAF3A>
[image: workshop drawing about learning]
Contribute to the data literacy research!

We partnered with Dirk Slater and Mariel Garcia to produce our first work
of research on data literacy
<https://sendy.okfn.org/l/2OOV8RpMR6xZluHQEAzGaA/EMe2xCKxqxJ0pCi744mv892Q/7lOceuNzcqpzCbA00AAF3A>.
Do you work with data to create social change?
Answer the survey
<https://sendy.okfn.org/l/2OOV8RpMR6xZluHQEAzGaA/Fc47ijuLwZvbLxVuiPE1Mw/7lOceuNzcqpzCbA00AAF3A>
[image: 2015 School of Data fellow portraits]
6 Months In, What's Up with Fellows?

We asked the already super busy 2015 School of Data fellows to produce a
mid-fellowship report that would allow them (and us) to reflect on what has
been achieved so far. Faced with different challenges, each of them used
their respective skills to create an impact in their region. And they don't
intend to stop there.
Learn more
<https://sendy.okfn.org/l/2OOV8RpMR6xZluHQEAzGaA/EoOlnAqhT7763j7lKo7U3K3g/7lOceuNzcqpzCbA00AAF3A>
[image: Written document for data collection]
4 tools for better humanitarian data management

Paper records are not disappearing anytime soon. But digital alternatives
have matured, changing humanitarian work for the better. By Sheena
Opulencia-Calub.
Read more
<https://sendy.okfn.org/l/2OOV8RpMR6xZluHQEAzGaA/9c5n4tqanXxWpto3te2Bkg/7lOceuNzcqpzCbA00AAF3A>
[image: Julio Lopez from Costa Rica]
Fellows talk about the SummerCamp

The SummerCamp is the annual reunion of the community and the the fellows.
The knowledge and relations built there are crucial for the success of the
fellowship.
Watch the video
<https://sendy.okfn.org/l/2OOV8RpMR6xZluHQEAzGaA/Xv4VUFcD7mo3v1rt763dPecQ/7lOceuNzcqpzCbA00AAF3A>
[image: Advocacy Assembly lead image]
A New Data Learning Platform, in English, Farsi and Arabic

The NGO Small Media unveiled Advocacy Assembly, a free multilingual and
multimedia online training platform for human-rights activists, campaigners
and journalists. Organisations around the world can upload their training
material on the platform and School of Data is a launch partner thanks the
amazing work of Milena Marin
<https://sendy.okfn.org/l/2OOV8RpMR6xZluHQEAzGaA/7Z6XziHMMEY4zElwmLOQUw/7lOceuNzcqpzCbA00AAF3A>
and Hannah Williams
<https://sendy.okfn.org/l/2OOV8RpMR6xZluHQEAzGaA/A81Dn6YdGP0DSzng892NAXoA/7lOceuNzcqpzCbA00AAF3A>.
Check it out!
Discover the platform
<https://sendy.okfn.org/l/2OOV8RpMR6xZluHQEAzGaA/1c32qZhwvFPPPFLOA0l40Q/7lOceuNzcqpzCbA00AAF3A>
[image: screenshot of Chartbuilder graphs]
Plot your data with Quartz Charbuilder

Quartz Chartbuilder is a free, open-source chart-creation tool from the
team behind qz.com. The plus? You can create small multiples
<https://sendy.okfn.org/l/2OOV8RpMR6xZluHQEAzGaA/JBQ0DpHHAHPEhHpQH2YtBw/7lOceuNzcqpzCbA00AAF3A>.
Worth a try!
Try it out
<https://sendy.okfn.org/l/2OOV8RpMR6xZluHQEAzGaA/yOx9IDPAXNj7fGxCI6EOgg/7lOceuNzcqpzCbA00AAF3A>
[image: screenshot of a thematic map]
Thematic mapping for the newbie

Reading a map is easy, creating (a good) one is hard. Axis Maps
<https://sendy.okfn.org/l/2OOV8RpMR6xZluHQEAzGaA/4K35FwrshziNn7QF7DmyqA/7lOceuNzcqpzCbA00AAF3A>
built an open source resource to help you learn the basics. Don't publish
another map before reading this.
Read more
<https://sendy.okfn.org/l/2OOV8RpMR6xZluHQEAzGaA/TWe763763qcBfoMIevUHle6Mgw/7lOceuNzcqpzCbA00AAF3A>
[image: @schoolofdata]