[Okfn-ca] Fwd: [CivicAccess-discuss] Open Data Census Methodology - how to compare federations with centralized Gov. systems?

Diane Mercier diane.mercier at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 17:22:56 UTC 2013

-------- Message original --------
Sujet: 	[CivicAccess-discuss] Open Data Census Methodology - how to
compare federations with centralized Gov. systems?
Date : 	Wed, 12 Jun 2013 10:25:19 -0400
De : 	Tracey P. Lauriault <tlauriau at gmail.com>
Répondre à : 	civicaccess discuss <civicaccess-discuss at civicaccess.ca>
Pour : 	open-data-census at lists.okfn.org
Copie à : 	civicaccess discuss <CivicAccess-discuss at civicaccess.ca>

Greetings all;

First, the initiative should be lauded for its efforts.  It is a great
initiative.

However, I do think that if we are working with data, and we wish to do
evidence based decision making based on the results of the census,
census methodology and data comparison issues need to be made obvious to
ensure accuracy and comperability.

For example, the Canadian census results are problematic, not because
the information submitted is inaccurate, but because it is grossly
incomplete.  Canada is a federation, with explicit divisions of power
(http://www.pco-bcp.gc.ca/aia/index.asp?lang=eng&page=federal&sub=legis&doc=legis-eng.htm) whereby
jurisdictional responsibilities between the Federal government,
provinces and territories and cities are constitutionally set.
  Jurisdictional divisions therefore dictate divided responsibilities
which translates in different things being administered  resulting in
many kinds of administrative data residing in multiple governments under
different rules.

Natural resources for instance are managed by both the federal and
provincial and territorial governments, and the data associated with
pollution will differ depending on the resources in question and where
they are located.  Data reside in 14 jurisdictions & innumerable
departments and access to these data and how they are collected will be
determined by each of these.  A citizen would have to contact each
jurisdictional or department separately to access these.  This is not an
insignificant task.

In addition, cities are governed by provinces and territories and there
is no real incentive for cross jurisdictional collaboration across
provinces and territories, although it does happen.  Canada is a big
place and what happens on the west coast is not the same as the east,
the prairies, or Quebec, Nunavut or Ottawa. Cities do not have
jurisdiction over some of the items listed in your census, and even
though, they are the innovators in Canada on the Open Data front, they
would score low on the census as they just do not produce the data
sought after in the census.

Also, even though Canada has a federal Open Data Program, there are
other assaults on knowledge, the Census of Canada was cancelled, Library
and Archives has been decimated, there is muzzling and control of
government scientists, access to information requests are slow and
contentious, scientific monitoring stations are being closed, think
tanks lost their funding, surveys on vulnerable peoples cancelled and
data releases carefully controlled, databases like the gun registry
being destroyed.  And this is just the tip of the iceberg.  The Federal
gov. may have open data, but if knowledge and data producing
institutions are being decimated, does it really matter?

Of the 13 provinces and territories, only 3 have open data programs, the
data produced by these are the juicy ones however, this is health,
population health, education, social welfare, resources, roads, etc.
  These are the institutions that deliver services to Canadians, and
these are the ones we want to have data from, but these are the late
bloomers in terms of data sharing, transparency, disclosure, access to
information and so on.  It is nice to have federal data, but we really
want admin data from provinces and territories.  Also, business
registries are federal, and there are also provincial and territorial
ones.  The open data census does not capture this nuance.  The results
from Canada would be much lower if this nuance was taken into consideration.

There are thousands of cities and municipalities in Canada, currently we
have 36 with open data pilots or catalogs
(http://datalibre.ca/links-resources/#Open Data Cities
<http://datalibre.ca/links-resources/#Open%20Data%20Cities>).  The data
they contain are cute, it is generally  parks, recreation, monuments,
and so on.  There are a few with restaurant health inspections and so
on. This is the jurisdiction that manages city infrastructure, where we
live, and they do not have demographic data and so on.  I would love to
know more about brown fields, dump sites, waste management, boil water
advisories and smog alert days, but these are not in the open data city
portals.

Thus, when the question of public transportation comes up under the Open
Data Census, it is problematic as the national/federal government does
not have jurisdiction over transit unless a system crosses provinces and
territories, but that is not transit per say, it is airlines, the
national rail lines or Greyhound buses.  Transit is administered at the
level of the municipality, and that picture differs in each city.  There
is no way to give an overall mark, and then of course, there is the
issues that Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver,
are big cities (for Canada), they have larger transit systems, smaller
cities would not have the resources necessarily to release their transit
data if in fact they even had gps on their buses and so on.  So how to
compare these?

In other words, the picture is complex, and we may get good marks for
one jurisdiction, but that mask the reality of the others.  Which brings
us to the open government partnership, I know not a Census topic, but it
only allows for national government representation, in Canada, this is
very problematic for the reasons discussed above.

My question then, is how will the Open Data Census capture the differing
governance issues between the nation states compared?  How will a user
of the results be advised of the comparative caveats?  Can countries
really be compared? Is there recognition that this first census may in
fact be the first to understand the differences and that this one will
find out the methodological issues and the next one will aim to address
these?

Sincerely
Tracey

--