[Okfn-ca] Fwd: [CivicAccess-discuss] FW: [liberationtech] PRISM & Open Data

Diane Mercier diane.mercier at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 12:33:40 UTC 2013

-------- Message original --------
Sujet: 	[CivicAccess-discuss] FW: [liberationtech] PRISM & Open Data
Date : 	Fri, 28 Jun 2013 05:22:48 +0400
De : 	michael gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com>
Répondre à : 	civicaccess discuss <civicaccess-discuss at civicaccess.ca>
Pour : 	civicaccess discuss <civicaccess-discuss at civicaccess.ca>

I think that there is another link as well*//*(between Open Data and
PRISM)... Much of the Open Data
initiative/discussion is about data transparency... making government
operations more transparent (and thus enhancing the presumed accountability
of government operations/activities to citizens).

In some sense privacy is also about accountability, that is who has access
to information about the citizen and what are the structures of
accountability controlling that access and in turn what is the
accountability of those structures to citizens and through this aggregate
process, acountability to individuals as owners of their own information.
This process of enforcing privacy, in democracies, is thus equally about
making government operations ultimately accountable to citizens.

In a democracy accountability is indivisible--it is not really possible to
have accountabiity in one area and to not have it in another area since the
drive (and temptation) to blur the boundaries, to hide the intrusions, to
obscure the subversions is too great and thus lack of accountability in one
area means lack of accountability in all areas.

MG