[Okfn-ca] The Role of Canadian Municipal Open Data: A Multi-city Evaluation | Currie, Liam (MA Thesis)

Stéphane Guidoin stephane at opennorth.ca
Tue Sep 3 21:17:30 UTC 2013

> You don't need open source to have open data.   One the most successful
> open data platforms on the planet is not built with open source software
> (Socrata).  And most of the worlds best open data is stored in a decidedly
> non-open data data store which cannot be easily replaced (Oracle), nor
> should it.

+1 Although I am a proponent of open source software, OS/FLOSS software
cannot be tied to strongly with open data (or open gov). FLOSS software can
enabled some benefits linked to open data, for example better collaboration
around data management and software development. But it is not and should
not be presented as a prerequisite. Many gov agencies are used to work with
some software provider and those agencies and their team should not feel
under attack when open data arrives.

steph

--
Stéphane Guidoin