[Okfn-ca] [Open Knowledge Forums] [Working Groups/Open Government Data] OpenData regarding assets seized both from mafia and criminals

nelsonmau no-reply at discuss.okfn.org
Sat Dec 26 08:45:56 UTC 2015

Hi there,

I'm starting this discussion to share with you our work regarding assets seized from mafia and criminals.

A single case should give the whole sense: we've found in France a villa seized from an italian criminal, but never really took. The villa has been for rent on AirBnb up to last year, despite the confiscation order.
A few more words would help to explain the main points:

* An evaluation would say us that we've 2 billion euros of confiscations a year through Italy, France, Spain, Germany and UK, that reach 4 Bln in watching all the 28 countries.

* Each country has data, but none published it in OpenData format. From UK probably has been released the best data thank to a FOI request. All data and reports we've gathered was collected here https://github.com/ondata/cb-eu/tree/gh-pages/docs

* Moreover, countries do not share data each other, despite a European directive on joint jurisdiction on confiscated goods.

You may find the whole investigation here http://eu.confiscatibene.it
and a brief description here http://journalismfund.eu/confiscatedgoods
Our aim is to share data and keep watched the phenomenon, so feel free to share your thoughts and reuse all contents, or anything else :smile:

Thank you,
Andrea

Posted by nelsonmau on 12/26/2015

---