[Okfn-ca] Fwd: [ciresearchers] FW: [IRPCoalition] Italy's draft Declaration of Internet Rights

Diane Mercier, Ph.D. diane at dianemercier.quebec
Thu Mar 26 14:03:35 UTC 2015

PVI

-------- Message transféré --------
Sujet : 	[ciresearchers] FW: [IRPCoalition] Italy's draft Declaration of
Internet Rights
Date : 	Wed, 25 Mar 2015 15:05:39 -0700
De : 	Michael Gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com>
Répondre à : 	ciresearchers at vancouvercommunity.net, Michael Gurstein
<gurstein at gmail.com>
Pour : 	ciresearchers at vcn.bc.ca

-----Original Message-----
From: IRP [mailto:irp-bounces at lists.internetrightsandprinciples.org] On Behalf Of J.C. DE MARTIN
Sent: March 21, 2015 12:19 PM
To: irp at lists.internetrightsandprinciples.org
Subject: [IRPCoalition] Italy's draft Declaration of Internet Rights

Dear All,

If I am not mistaken, this list has not yet been informed about a fairly recent initiative of Italy's Chamber of Deputies that might interest you.

In July 2014 the President of the Chamber, Hon. Laura Boldrini, established a study commission made of 10 MPs (one for each
group) and 13 experts (I am one of them) [1].
The chair of the Commission is prof. Stefano Rodotà, that some of you will remember (Tunis 2005 or Brazil 2007).

The mandate for our Commission was to survey existing Internet Charters/Declarations (starting with IRPC Charter, of course) and to produce a draft Declaration of Internet Rights before of the end of Italy's Presidency of the European Union (31 Dec 2014).
The political aim was to try to influence the Italian Government to take (or at least facilitate) action in this important area.

While that political aim was not achieved (at least so far), the Chamber of Deputies indeed published a first draft of the Declaration in October 2014. Since then the draft has been undergoing a public consultation (see http://camera.civi.ci), which will end on March 31.

You can find English, French and German translations of the draft Declaration, as well as a quite extensive press overview (also in English), here:
http://nexa.polito.it/declaration-internet-rights

Since October, the study Commission has been holding several official hearings: we heard from experts (some them foreigners, e.g., Frank La Rue), associations, the Chairs of Italy's independent Authorities, companies, members of Goverment, media, ecc.

We are also in close contact with the Commission de réflexion sur le droit et les libertés à l’âge du numérique established in
2014 by France's Assemblée Nationale: in the coming days we will also hold a joint meeting via tele-conference.

The main results of this initiative is that Italy has been discussing of Internet rights like never before: a remarkable result in and by itself, if you ask me.

Next steps: process the contributions, produce a revised Declaration and, above all, contribute to the global Internet rights efforts, where our main asset will be the fact that we are an expression of a parliamentary institution.

Particularly regarding this last point, your feedback and advice would be most useful.

Many thanks,
best regards,

juan carlos de martin

[1] http://www.camera.it/leg17/1177