[OKFN-CH] Swiss Transport Data: Next Steps / Opendata.ch Transport Working Group Kickoff

Hannes Gassert hannes at gassert.ch
Fri Apr 25 11:19:35 UTC 2014

Andrew,

Thanks for your message. The step that was taken is certainly one in the
right direction, it gives us something to work with beyond that hack that
is transport.opendata.ch.

The main concerns we are currently aware of are the following:

* Redistribution: SBB is forbidding to redistribute/sell the data as-is.
* Reuse: SBB is forbidding modifications of the data (fair enough, nobody
wants to see wrong train schedules out there).
* Absence of Technological Restriction: SBB is distributing the data in a
proprietary format (Hafas), and people are talking about IP/patents on the
format that would forbid the creation of tools to work with the data.

In practice, the fact that you need to register in order to download the
data will make it harder to create tools that update themselves with the
latest version of the schedule - but if there's a license agreement to
accept the registration makes some sense, of course.

We'll continue the dialog with the stakeholders involved, and we're
confident that Switzerland's new OGD strategy will help in providing
further guidelines to the transportation agencies as well.

Sending kind regards,
Hannes

--
Hannes Gassert  |  http://gassert.ch  |  +41 78 663 11 09