[OKFN-CH] Open Environmental Data - Survey / Datasets

Estermann Beat beat.estermann at bfh.ch
Thu May 21 12:54:51 UTC 2015

Dear Members of the Swiss OGD Community,

The Federal Office for the Environment (FOEN) is presently seeking feedback from various stakeholders in view of the publication of (parts of) its environmental basic data in line with the Open Government Data Strategy of the Swiss Confederation.

The term "environmental basic data" refers to the detailed data that is used to calculate the various environmental indicators published by the FOEN. They include datasets covering a variety of topics, such as waste, contamination, biodiversity, biotechnology, soil quality, chemicals, electromagnetic pollution, climate, landscape quality, noise, air quality, natural hazards, forest, and water quality.

In order to reach a better understanding of the needs of (future) data users, we currently collect possible use cases from the perspective of various stakeholder groups.
We therefore invite you to participate in our survey in order to share with us your own use scenarios and expectations regarding open environmental data. This will allow the FOEN to provide a better service in the future.

Survey link: http://goo.gl/forms/upW1bbHfZy

Furthermore, we will be present during the upcoming Research Hackdays<http://make.opendata.ch/wiki/event:2015-06> on the 5th of June 2015 in Zurich in order to exchange with you about possible use cases and the way the various datasets should best be published.

In the meanwhile, you may also want to have a look at the Swiss datasets that are already available as open data - be it directly from FOEN or through international agencies; we have collected the references in a Google Doc<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11SPd3iM8B54CpvjOUN92ul6_Vmqv-xMSAaprbF0G7uM/edit#gid=0>.

Kind regards,
Hansueli Pestalozzi & Beat Estermann

Contact:

Hansueli Pestalozzi
Federal Office for the Environment
Hans-Ulrich.Pestalozzi at bafu.admin.ch
+41 (0)58 462 23 12

Beat Estermann
Bern University of Applied Sciences, E-Government Institute
beat.estermann at bfh.ch
+41 (0)31 848 34 38