[OKFN-CH] Swiss Open Cultural Data Hackathon 2016 - Don't Forget to Sign-up!

Estermann Beat beat.estermann at bfh.ch
Tue Jun 7 13:04:59 UTC 2016

Dear all,

The countdown is running: In a few weeks from now (1/2 July) the Second Open Cultural Data Hackathon is taking place at the Basel University Library!

The official deadline for registration is 15 June. Over 70 participants have already signed up. If you register on time, this helps us pass the right numbers to our caterer and to the Youth Hostel.

In the meanwhile, we have also published details about our side program with workshops on various topics, and we have added newly released datasets to our list of open data sources.

Further information about the registration, the datasets, and the side program can be found on the hackathon webpage:
http://make.opendata.ch/wiki/event:2016-07

And stay tuned: Further updates to the dataset list will follow, and further hacker portraits as well as project ideas will be posted on the OpenGLAM CH Blog: http://glam.opendata.ch/ - Don't forget to join us on Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/swissculturaldatahackathon/> or Twitter<https://twitter.com/hashtag/glamhack> (Hashtag: #glamhack) to receive the latest news!

The event is organized in cooperation with the Basel University Library and infoclio.ch, and is kindly supported by Migros Kulturprozent, Christoph Merian Foundation, Ernst Göhner Foundation, and the Cantonal Archive of Basel-Stadt.

We would like to remind you that the main objective of the hackathon is to bring different stakeholder groups together, to let them interact around specific topics in order to share experiences and to develop concepts and software prototypes. Also, the event is intended to serve as a jumping board for the creation of software and other forms of data/content re-use that get some public visibility (e.g. by displaying or performing them at a museums' night) or have some other outside impact (e.g. by their use for research, in the context of Wikipedia/Wikimedia, or by facilitating the crowdsourcing of certain tasks). For this purpose, special attention is put on the match-making between hackathon project teams and potential "sponsors" - heritage institutions, funding organizations, research projects, or other entities interested in assisting a project team in taking their idea from prototype to a real product. As a novelty compared to last year's hackathon, the final project presentation will therefore be open to interested parties and the wider public.

As its name suggests, the hackathon is primarily about *open* data and content that is freely licensed so it can be re-used by anyone for any purpose. In the same spirit, and in order to support a culture of sharing, we also encourage the use of open source software.

We are looking forward to a creative and inspirational hackathon and hope to see you soon in Basel!

For the OpenGLAM working group and the organizing team of this year's hackathon,

Beat Estermann

P.S.: Help us spread the word! - Use our flyer/poster for DIY printout (in English or German):
http://glam.opendata.ch/files/2014/01/HackathonPoster_eng_PDF.pdf
http://glam.opendata.ch/files/2014/01/HackathonPoster_de_PDF.pdf

 [cid:image002.jpg at 01D1C0CD.F589C310]
Beat Estermann