[OKFN-CH] #OpenGlobalHeath Kickoff!

Daniel Hürlimann huerlimann.daniel at swissonline.ch
Thu Sep 8 11:28:41 UTC 2016

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Grabitz, Peter <peter.grabitz at charite.de>
Date: 2016-09-07 18:48 GMT+02:00
Subject: #OpenGlobalHeath Kickoff!
To: April Clyburne-Sherin <april at cos.io>
Cc: Neo Christopher Chung, Jeremiah Pietersen, Daniel Hürlimann, Bastian
Greshake, Célya Gruson-Daniel

Hi OpenGlobalHealth folks:
We succeeded in setting up the OpenGlobalHealth workshop at the World
Health Summit!
Please find below a mail asking for everyones' input and support!
Could you distribute it in your mailing lists and hand it on to people that
might be interested?
We are so much looking forward to this opportunity and developing our ideas
further!
All the best and OpenCon-love,
Peter

Dear everyone,
There is no field of expertise where open is more important than in health.
Not having access to crucial study results is decelarating the translation
of research from bench to bedside.  Intransparent underlying data is
leading to biased decision making. Problems in accessing teaching materials
in faculties around the world results in unequal education of medical
students. Patients and public are those who pay.

Nevertheless, knowledge sharing and open science are only slowly making
their way on the agenda of the Global Health community. This needs to be
changed and challenged. But how?
Workshop at the World Health Summit
Together with the Centre Virchow Villermé Paris-Berlin, we are co-hosting
in October 10th a workshop
<https://www.registration-whs.com/Program/Session/WHS2016/WS-18> on
“Fostering Open Science in Global Health” at this year’s World Health Summit
<http://www.worldhealthsummit.org> (WHS) in the Foreign Ministry of Germany
in Berlin. The WHS is a stakeholder plattform gathering around 1500
participants from the field of Global Health each year.
To make this community really embrace the topic of Open Science we needed
to come up with a theme that is close to everyone’s interest. We therefore
picked: “the case of datasharing in public health emergencies” as subtitle.
The idea is to take this emotional example and develop the importance of
Open Science, that goes well beyond Data sharing from there.
Paradigm shift
This, we hope, will change the narrative around openness in health! The
idea of “Open Global Health” was born at OpenCon 2015 and we believe it
will gain traction and spread across different sectors.
Your support
To ensure this process we need the help of the open community: We are
gathering your questions for the panel
<https://www.registration-whs.com/Program/Session/WHS2016/WS-18> (here in
this survey: https://goo.gl/forms/M6AVeGwBDQnmI5Ns2)! These questions will
be addressed during the workshop. We are planning to screen the workshop
live (what else!) via google hangouts.
Also, support the discussions on Open Global Health on social media and
follow the hashtag #openglobalhealth
If you have any other ideas how to make this thing bigger (blog posts,
media, projects, stories…) contact us back and we will make things happen
together!

Warmest regards,
Peter Célya and Stefanie