[OKFN-CN] Hi there!

FENG GAO gaofeng860918 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 13:56:58 UTC 2013

Hi,

(seems that I got a problem in my mail client sorry if the email has been
posted already)

Hi:

one of the focus of the China local group will be on promoting open data in
the region. There are a lot of things could be done:
1. We need to get volunteers to translate a lot of good materials on open
data such as open data handbook (http://opendatahandbook.org/en/) though
there is one Traditional Chinese version available. some necessary revision
are needed to get a Simplified Chinese version done.

2. We need to explore,  document, and assess available open data in China
(especially open gov data). And share the result with the world. One
example could be the city census here http://census.okfn.org/city/

3. We need to free data available online and start thinking about how to
use them. Some good projects from OKF central could be introduced to China
and we as the local group will try to organize events to promote projects
and gather people working on those ideas (and of course, new ideas from
local community).  The open data day event was my first try in China
although it did not really occur but it seems we might have related event
in the future.
(PS. I remembered before I received a email from you on the big data week
thing in April. Could you remind me of that event and I could think about
whether we could have an open data event during the week. )

Another thing will be the open gov initiative, that is much sensitive in
mainland but might be worth trying to do something in HongKong first. We
already got some contacts from NDI (National Democratic institution) on
their Open Gov Initiative activities in HongKong. We will share more on our
blog if there is any progress

We also have interested in other form of open knowledge such as Open Design
which i think might be one interesting topic for folkers from Open Hacker
space such as XinCheJian.

The last but not the least, we have the aim to grow the OKF community in
China and finally build a bigger community as a regional initiative or
chapter in the future.

(BTW, I remember you shared a plan of a paper discussing open data in china
in the sharism lab discussion group. How is it going now? It will be good
if you could share some ideas/results on our blog later)

best,
Feng

--
Feng GAO <http://about.me/feng_gao> |
@okfncnfenggao<http://twitter.com/okfncnfenggao> (same
on Weibo)
Ambassador at China, Open Knowledge Foundation

OKF China Local Group (开放知识基金会中国) <http://cn.okfn.org>
Weibo: @开放知识基金会中国 <http://weibo.com/okfncn> |Twitter:
@okfncn<http://twitter.com/okfncn>
Join Discussion on the