[okfn-discuss] open film metadata database

Julian Priest julian at informal.org.uk
Sun Apr 16 04:53:41 UTC 2006

On Sat, Apr 15, 2006 at 03:45:49PM +0100, Saul Albert wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 15, 2006 at 12:31:23PM +0100, Julian Priest wrote:

> http://annodex.net

That looks nicely developed. It's interesting that they are developing
a separate Open source solution to the Open standards approaches
taking place in the broadcast industry. Here's some of the
competition;

DVB-SI and DVB-IPI

http://dvb.org - useless need to be a member (paid) to browse the
docs.

TVA

http://www.tv-anytime.org/

MPEG7

http://www.chiariglione.org/MPEG/standards/mpeg-7/mpeg-7.htm

"MPEG-7 is an ISO/IEC standard developed by MPEG (Moving Picture
Experts Group), the committee that also developed the Emmy Award
winning standards known as MPEG-1 and MPEG-2"

WTF? an Emmy Award for a standard? Celebrity Standards Committes?
That's one awards ceremony I would have liked to have seen ;)

> I've got about 1000GBP to sink into making this work for Talkaoke, The
> People Speak and a few other projects... we are already digitizing 10
> years of our conversational archive, so maybe I have a few small scale
> bounties to put up already on this front.
>
> Is anyone else interested, or know of interested parties looking for an
> annotated media solution who might come in on a focused development
> project?

A while ago Emma Hedditch was talking to Gini at Space about
digitising her feminist film archive a while ago. Not sure if it got
funded or done but might be worth asking.

char$

~/julian