[okfn-discuss] Rendering of geo locations using **open data**

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon Aug 21 11:52:06 UTC 2006

Dear Jo,

In the discussion of the 'open knowledge' funds I gave a set of examples
  of 'Tools Wanted', one of which I described as:

[snip]
> ### Rendering of geo locations using **open data** ###
>
> Would like a simple software package to allow one to render location
> on a map with link to text. Essential that underlying map data be
> open. Would also like this to be deployable locally in addition to on
> a server. Preference would be for python or javascript type
> implementation.

I wondered whether you -- or anyone else or anyone else on list -- know
of already existent tools/projects which already do this?

I would emphasize that the maps would **not** have to be very high
resolution (the first use case for this would be something like plotting
historical events).