[okfn-discuss] first draft invitation to Open Knowledge 1.0

Saul Albert saul at theps.net
Thu Dec 14 16:48:06 UTC 2006

On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 04:00:35PM +0000, Rufus Pollock wrote:
> In my opinion we should go for 3 speakers in each stream each given ~20
> minutes of time. I think we should look at 3-4 streams (3 is maybe more
> realistic given that if we start at 11 and close at 6 and allow 2 hours
> for lunch we only have 5 hours total). Suggested streams are:
>
>   * Open scientific data
>   * Open media
>   * Open geodata (might also put some civic information in this one)
>
> What do people think.

Sounds good - I think the open space can allow plenty of movement
between and around these areas.

I think we should only have one hour for lunch, and try to cater it -
even if this is done super-cheaply with a shedload of beigels from
brick lane and some salads - we should have at least as much time for
open space as for speaker panels.

I also think we should be super harsh about the timing.

> >open-knowledgey suggestions on how to make that happen - technically,
> >format-wise or socially...
>
> Sure -- maybe we could have some pre and post workshops on particular areas.

I'm not really thinking about workshops. Tav has suggested some pretty
interesting ideas for how to augment conference formats - some of which
are maybe a bit too sci-fi for Open Knowledge 1.0 - but we could be
quite creative about this.

There are a few things I'd quite like to try out - that might be fun
experiments for OK1 - http://logilogi.org is one experiment - a kind of
mix between threaded discussion and wiki, coded by an espian friend of
Tav's. International logilogi day is on the 27th January - so perhaps
it would be a nice time to experiment with this system and see if it
might be a good way to bring some discussions together before/after the
meetup.

I also know a corporate communications facilitator who gets paid huge
sums to go into companies and get people from very different areas of
the corporation, who have never met before to work together very
effectively and very quickly. Some of his techniques sound really
interesting - perhaps we should invite him to do something with our
attendees?

Maybe there are other tools and techniques we can think of that will
intensify and broaden the impact of ok1.

> >Modularisation also holds a key to commercial opportunity: unrestricted
> >access to an ever-changing, modularised landscape of knowledge creates
> >commercial opportunities that are not available with proprietary
> >approaches. What examples are there of economic systems that function
> >with Open Knowledge, and how can those systems be shared? When is
> >cooperation with Open Knowledge more economically viable than closed
> >competition?
>
> Suggest change final sentence to: When is open knowledge more
> commercially productive than closed?

Agreed.

> Already got a wiki page which anyone can edit at:
>
> http://okfn.org/wiki/okcon/

Nice 1. I won't have time to edit this before the end of next week -
but hope to have a good crack before Christmas.

Cheers,

Saul.

--
The People Speak   | 17-25 Cremer St.  London E2 8HD | http://theps.net