[okfn-discuss] Open Data proposals for XTech

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Mon Dec 18 22:48:27 UTC 2006

dear Rufus, to reiterate from IRC my thanks for feedback.

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 12:27:37PM +0000, Rufus Pollock wrote:
> > to this, and it is a sad day when our official specification for
> > metadata exchange is an "add to my shopping basket" page.
>
> ? should it be: 'includes an "add to ....' rather than 'is an ....'

No, seriously. OGC folded their metadata standards efforts back into ISO
19915, and the link to their reference specification changed to point
to this URL:
http://www.iso.org/iso/en/CatalogueDetailPage.CatalogueDetail?CSNUMBER=26020
cf http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/as , Topic 11 - Metadata
As my personal web idol put it, "A house with an open door, does no
good if the front gate is locked".

http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/DCLite4G is the attempt i am making
with some friends to follow what is looking like a good common pattern
for "grassroots" specifications oriented to making data creation and
syndication as easy as possible, as far as i am concerned this is both
an archiving and a re-use oriented adjunct to that. i am trying to
restrain myself from talking ontology or taxonomy, one can say
'namespaces' perhaps and focus on the data and how it is used and not
on descriptions of the data and how it is used. Am i making sense?
It is late.

love,

jo