[okfn-discuss] web-based text annotation systems

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Tue Dec 19 17:27:49 UTC 2006

andrea rota wrote:
> hi Rufus,
>
> On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 09:26:28AM +0000, Rufus Pollock wrote:
> [...]
>> I've been working on adapting the marginalia solution (which seems the
>> most polished and the most documented) to python. I've put my work so
>> far in the shakespeare subversion repository at:
>>
>>   http://project.knowledgeforge.net/shakespeare/svn/sandbox/annotater/
>
> I'm replying offlist as I haven't had time to actually try this out
> - and I have just checked very quickly the three engines you wrote about
> in a previous post so I might have gotten the requirements wrong - but
> is this anything in which Annotea (http://www.annotea.org/) can help?
>
> My impression (I tried it some time ago) is that available Annotea tools
> are not really user friendly yet, while this would be very important for
> openshakespeare et al., but I found it interesting that it is based on
> RDF and other standard infrastructure bits.

Thanks for the pointer Andrea. I had taken a look at annotea and had
had a similar impression: nice setup (RDF etc) but where was the simple
(javascript?) user interface. I've now posted the summary which covers
annotea along with the 3 other systems I mentioned to the list at:

<http://www.openshakespeare.org/2006/12/18/adding-web-based-annotation-support/>