[okfn-discuss] Re: Fw: INSPIRE Democratic Process 1/2006

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Wed Jan 25 03:23:57 UTC 2006

[background for okfn-discuss: the INSPIRE directive on european
spatial data infrastructure is going to grant member states' national
mapping agencies copyright on a lot of data that has been or should be
public domain, in a way that was not intended in the original draft.]

dear Benjamin, thanks for your quick reply. Sorry that mine has been a
bit slower; i'm trying to minimize screen time, and maximise unfocused
time, due to a terrible migraine i've had for a week now. :/

What occurs to me right now is this:
> I am fully emplyed by FFII now, but my priorities are on the swpat
> topic again.

How are priorities being set within FFII? I understand that swpat is
*incredibly* important. But is it as time-sensitive as INSPIRE right
now? When is the second reading due to come up; how fast can we
respond to this with a big public petition to make a difference?

I think you are absolutely the key person in this effort right now;
you are in the right place and talking to the rapporteurs. Would you
be able to reprioritise within FFII for just a few days, to help
build background and create the message? If it would help, i recently
wrote this essay trying to explain in basic layperson's terms how
much impact there is in building a Spatial Data Infrastructure:
http://space.frot.org/docs/why_sdi.html that FFIIers with no knowledge
of the domain might be informed by a quick reading of.

> I was looking for a server to host publicgeodata.org/eu, but none of
> my friends gave me. A friend of mine is giving me a shell on a machine
> today.
> What can be really quick is to setup a mediawiki + static frontend
> like
> I did for http://nopeatents.eu.org. The CSS design can be really
> flexible with Mediawiki

I would think OKFN would be able to offer hosting for this. And if
that's not possible, i would offer space on the shared system that runs
http://freemap.in . You mentioned a php based piece of petition
software that may be good; phppetition? something better?

I am 100% up for working on the docset in short bursts, helping to get
the information laid out, and getting the word out, as below: there is
a BIG list of geo SMEs and academics who signed
http://okfn.org/geo/manifesto.php

Any other OKFNers have time and energy to help set up the software?

-jo