[okfn-discuss] open knowledge event this autumn: proposal

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon Jul 3 11:35:28 UTC 2006

Some of you may recall the World Summit on Free Information
Infrastructures (WSFII.london) which took place at the start of October
last year in London:

   http://www.okfn.org/wsfii/london/

I really enjoyed this, particularly the chance to talk with people
working on a lot of different areas of open knowledge and free
infrastructures and I'd really like to run another similar event again
this year at around the same time here in the UK.

It probably wouldn't be a WSFII because that is taking place in India
this year and it might need to be a more limited as we wouldn't have any
budget to transport people over from different countries as we did last
time. Nevertheless I think we could still cover a lot of ground and have
an interesting and fun time. Perhaps we could entitle it 'Open Knowledge
1.0' ;)

Below I've put some ideas for the structure of the event. My suggestion
would also be that we go out to various different groups and ask them to
co-organize with us (or at least organize a particular stream). For
example we could talk with MySociety about Civic Information, Free
Culture about Content etc. What do people think? Is there anyone who
would like to help organize it?

Event Outline
*************

Duration: 1/2 days
Date: Sat 30th Sept - Sun 1st Oct
Where: London (Limehouse? or I might be able to find space somewhere
more central)

Possible Streams (in no specific order)

   * Civic Information
   * Geodata