[okfn-discuss] Setting up 2 Funds (for F/OSS and Open Knowledge)

Benj. Mako Hill mako at atdot.cc
Fri Jul 21 20:14:52 UTC 2006

<quote who="Rufus Pollock" date="Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 03:19:42PM +0100">
> As stated the funding would be oriented towards pieces of software that
> we use. Thus examples of projects/organizations to which the money might
> go are:
>
>   * python
>   * debian
>   * moinmoin
>   * subversion
>   * trac
>   * ...
>
> Beyond these there are a host of smaller components/libraries which we
> use mainly at the python end of things.
>
> It might also be good to make some contribution to user tools such as
> Mozilla/Firefox and OpenOffice which are important in pushing and
> developing standards (and support for those standards) on which we depend.

It might be nice to bias the decision toward smaller, less well
financed, or projects with a large company or foundation behind
them. $500 isn't going to mean much compared to Sun or Google dollars
but might mean a core volunteer gets to attend a developer summit in a
smaller project.

Regards,
Mako

--
Benjamin Mako Hill
mako at atdot.cc
http://mako.cc/

Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so
far as society is free to use the results. --RMS