[okfn-discuss] open shakespeare

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Mon May 22 13:56:21 UTC 2006

Ahoy,

On Monday 22 May 2006 14:30, Rufus Pollock wrote:
>    * Shakespeare's out of copyright but there is still some legal issues
> to illustrate the problems of closed knowledge

Which legal issues?

>    * Plenty of need for versioning, bugfixing etc

Can you expand on this to clarify exactly what work people could do?

>    * Nice idea of an overall package consisting of the texts,
> commentary, search tool

That would be nice. I remember various interesting Shakespeare projects that
popped up at one time or another. Providing a platform to deliver his work in
new and interesting ways is definitely worth a shot, if it doesn't exist
already. One thing that comes to mind is tagging - my grandmother has a nice
collection of books like "Shakespeare on nature" and "Shakespeare on love".
That would be easy to replicate.

Here's another nice collection of works that I make use of that adds some
value beyond simply having HTML versions for free:
http://classics.mit.edu/

But here's a thought - why not include this under the umbrella of Public
Domain Burn?
http://www.freeculture.org.uk/PublicDomainBurn

Regards,
Tom

--
I'll give £100 to People & Planet if 20 people give £10.
Help me help this amazing student activist network!