[okfn-discuss] open shakespeare

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Wed May 31 10:56:36 UTC 2006

Ahoy,

Thanks for the clarifications. It sounds like a worthwhile project. One
thing...

On Tuesday 23 May 2006 16:25, Rufus Pollock wrote:
> Tom Chance wrote:
> > But here's a thought - why not include this under the umbrella of Public
> > Domain Burn?
> > http://www.freeculture.org.uk/PublicDomainBurn
>
> We could do and I'm happy to do it that way though I feel that PDB
> should be more focused on getting the metadata and the raw texts rather
> than the 'packaging' (which is the focus of open shakespeare -- basic
> versions of the texts do already exist in some form or other) and PDB
> already has plenty on its plate!

My reasoning is that it's better for us to have a few project names under one
organisation name. The whole free culture / open content world is confusing
enough as it is.

Both PDB and the Open Shakespeare project seem to be about the same idea:
making public domain content available, accessible, open, etc. One is
currently focused on metadata and raw data, the other (since raw data is
readily available) is focused on doing interesting things with the data. Both
are about increasing public access to the public domain.

Anyway, no biggie.

Regards,
Tom

--
I'll give £100 to People & Planet if 20 people give £10.
Help me help this amazing student activist network!