[okfn-discuss] Re: okfn-discuss Digest, Vol 14, Issue 10

Ron Severdia william at playshakespeare.com
Sat Nov 25 03:57:47 UTC 2006

That may be true..the second scenario may be easier and cheaper for
some people. But even cheaper than that is to put it on a disk and
take it (or email it) to your local copy store for printing, or give
it to a friend who has a printer to print for you, or bring it to
your office and print it on the boss's dime & time (people do this
all the time)... the cheap/free variations go on and on. The point is
that the internet is everywhere and so are computers and printers. If
you don't have one, you know someone who does have one.

There are speeding or drunk driving laws because there's a minority
of people that can't responsibly drive, thereby "ruining" it for
every one else. The same blanket rule goes for publishing companies.
They may claim to have all the scruples in the world, but it's a fact
of life that corporations lie (in varying degrees) to make money. So
I can't, in good conscience, allow one of them to exploit (for lack
of a better word) someone else for profit. Why wouldn't they take the
freely available Globe Edition (now in the public domain) instead if
they want to print books and not pay for them?

Thank you for your thoughts and ideas. I really like hearing from
various points of view on this subject and I hope that someone can
"show me the light"... :)

Ron