[okfn-discuss] Is the Open Directory Project open?

Jonathan jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Wed Aug 29 19:56:16 UTC 2007

Thanks for your reply Mike!

I had also been wondering about Section 4. which seems to be the one
that the FSF took issue with:

  "4. Errors and Changes.  From time to time Netscape may elect to post
on the page(s) at the URL http://dmoz.org/become_an_editor certain
specific changes to the Open Directory and/or above attribution
statements, which changes may be to correct errors and/or remove content
alleged to be improperly in the Open Directory.  So long as you are
exercising the license to Open Directory hereunder, you agree to use
commercially reasonable efforts to check the page(s) at the URL
http://dmoz.org/become_an_editor from time to time, and to use
commercially reasonable efforts to make the changes/corrections/deletion
of content from the Open Directory and/or attribution statements as may
be indicated at such URL.  Any changes to the Open Directory content
posted at the page(s) at the URL http://dmoz.org/become_an_editor are
part of Open Directory."

I suppose the issue hinges on the phrase "commercially reasonable".

I'm still not entirely clear on whether or not this is compatible with
the OKD (http://www.opendefinition.org/1.0) - specifically, if it is
not, which section of the definition doesn't it comply with? If it looks
to be compatible, should it be?

Presumably the fact that the ODP service runs on proprietary software
doesn't in itself mean that the data can't be open, though it does,
according to the provisional open service definition, mean the service
isn't open.

Also if the data is not fully RDF compliant [1] - does this constitute a
technological restriction to access?

Regards,

Jonathan

[1] See e.g., http://rainwaterreptileranch.org/steve/sw/odp/rdflist.html