[okfn-discuss] New project - Open Data licence

Jordan Hatcher's lists lists at twitchgamer.net
Thu Aug 30 06:35:45 UTC 2007

All,

One of my newer projects is to lead the update to the Talis Community
Licence, which is an open data licence that is listed as being
compliant with the OKFN.  This email is just to notify the list and
ask for anyone who wants to contact me about the update to feel free
to do so and to solicit any comments you might have at this time.
I'll post a draft of the update whenever it is ready.

The idea for the licence update is:

-- expand it beyond the EU Database Right to cover Database copyright
as well
-- make it compliant with existing law by scaling back the scope of
the rights it covers
-- try to make it as universal/worldwide in scope as possible
-- keep it OKFN compliant

The licence itself doesn't do too much in terms of restrictions
except for a Share Alike requirement.  It has been suggested to me
that SA would be particularly bad for the sciences and data
integration projects.  I very much would like to hear your thoughts
on what you'd like to see with the licence.

Talis Community Licence
http://www.talis.com/tdn/tcl

Thanks!

~Jordan