[okfn-discuss] Fw: stompbox for projectortank

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Tue Jan 23 12:35:16 UTC 2007

dear Felix, i hope you don't mind me forwarding your mail about mobile
wireless local media to the OKFN discussion list. Nod, i am permabusy
and have not done wireless in a while. Others here might be able to
provide context or recommendations for you - Adnan, Julian?

----- Forwarded message from Felix Wight <f.wight.02 at cantab.net> -----

From: "Felix Wight" <f.wight.02 at cantab.net>
To: info at wirelesslondon.info

Hello.
I am part of a mobile cinema thats based in Cambridge but wants to edge
into London. We show films for free in 'public spaces' or at cost for
schools. The power supply, P.A. and projector are setup in a van, with a
big battery bank charged by solar panels, and an outdoor screen and tent
for when we need them . One of the things that we wanted to do was use the
power supply to run a stompbox/ wlan, with a small server on board the van
containing film content, music, some free software, and maybe offer
lowbandwidth(loband.org) internet access with a 3G data card or by
piggybacking open wifi networks. Directional and widebeam aerials on the
roof could boost our range. Would you be interested in helping us set this
up, or just offer some basic techie advice? I imagine you are pretty busy
but I thought it might interest you.

Cheers

felix

www.projectortank.org.uk