[okfn-discuss] Re: [okfn-help] blog off

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Jan 26 13:37:57 UTC 2007

Jo Walsh wrote:
> blog.okfn.org is responding to pings, but hanging indefinitely on port 80.

hmmm. I've now been monitoring the okfn.org server for a couple of weeks
and loads are getting very high. Frequently I have seen it in the 5-30
range and I've seen it as high as 80 (at that point the server is
essentially dead). The problem seems to lie with apache (the main way
I've been solving the problem is to stop/start or restart apache).

However I've had difficult working out exactly what the problem is. I
thought it might be to do with a memory leak in modpython stuff related
to knowledgeforge and therefore have tried upgrading modpython. I only
did this a few days ago so it is difficult to know how much impact this
is having yet. Alternatively it may just be that the machine is getting
too much traffic.

If there's anyone out there with suggestions or experience of tracking
down these kinds of problems let me know (I'd also like to know why, for
example, htop and top produce such different process lists ...). I've
got a load of top logs and other system stats which I can post on the
sysadmin wiki if that would help