[okfn-discuss] Open Service Definition (revisited)

Luis Villa luis at tieguy.org
Mon Jul 30 14:56:24 UTC 2007

On 7/30/07, Francis Irving <francis at flourish.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2007 at 10:42:44AM -0400, Luis Villa wrote:
> > and on the implementation
> > side (anyone implementing open-ish services- wikipedia, Red Hat,
> > Joyent(?) etc.)
>
> The charity mySociety (http://www.mysociety.org) that I work for makes
> open-ish services.
>
> We've been using the Affero GPL for years for lots of sites like
> TheyWorkForYou, PledgeBank and FixMyStreet. Not to mention the UK
> Prime Minister's E-Petitions site (http://petitions.pm.gov.uk)
>
> Source code all here:
> https://secure.mysociety.org/cvstrac/dir?d=mysociety

Cool. Definitely figured there would be a lot more, those three were
just the first that jumped to mind, as I use one weekly, work for
another, and am looking at deploying the third for personal use.

There is some challenge to doing this kind of thing in an open
environment- you want to convene only serious people who can work
together constructively, in a large enough group so as to be
representative, but small enough so as to still be capable of
constructive dialog.

I honestly haven't given much thought to it, other than to be scared
and look away; I look forward to any post-mortems SFLC does (publicly
or privately) on the GPL v3 process, which overall went fairly
smoothly.

Luis