[okfn-discuss] Modding CC-licenses for data

rob at robmyers.org rob at robmyers.org
Fri Jun 22 10:09:58 UTC 2007

Quoting Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org>:

> Also should we have advice on waiving
> rights (e.g. by 'dedicating' to the public domain) for people who
> simply want to make their work available without any restrictions?

Sorry, clicked send too soon. :-)

PD dedication is a surprisingly difficult area. In some countries you
cannot waive your rights, and in the UK I don't think you can give
them up but you can promise not to assert them. I'm not sure that the
CC PD dedication even really works in the US, never mind in the rest
of the world.

So some discussion of how to achieve a PD-*like* status for work in
various jurisdictions, backed up by some solid legal opinion, would be
very useful.

- Rob.