[okfn-discuss] freebase: another new open knowledge/open data service

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Tue Mar 13 09:25:54 UTC 2007

Several people[^1] from the 'open' world have posted about freebase
(http://www.freebase.com):

[^1]: [Glyn
Moody](http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2007/03/metaweb-not-betterweb.html)
  and [Peter
Suber](http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/2007_03_04_fosblogarchive.html)

 > Freebase is an open, shared database of the world's knowledge....
 >
 > Free + Database = Freebase
 >
 > It's about film, sports, politics, music, science and everything else
all connected together. Our contributors are collecting data from all
over the internet to build a massive, collaboratively-edited database of
cross-linked data. Its a big job and we're just getting started.

 > How free?
 >
 > Really free. We want to make it possible for you to add high quality
structured information to your websites, mashups and applications
without worrying about restrictive corporate licenses. All data is
licensed Creative Commons Attribution. We only ask that you link back to us.

What do people think of this? I'd certainly be interested to see their
codebase given recent discussions on collaborative development of
structured data.

PS: I also just got round to posting up some comments on swivel and many
eyes (two web-based data visualization services):

   http://blog.okfn.org/2007/03/12/storing-and-visualizing-open-data-ii/