[okfn-discuss] OFCOM Public Service Publisher (PSP) consultation response

Saul Albert saul at theps.net
Mon Mar 19 15:27:10 UTC 2007

hi All,

On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 02:03:37PM +0000, Michael Holloway wrote:
>    Is the plan (as suggested on-list) still for Saul to post a draft?

Sorry I've lagged horribly on this. My psp response/post to the list was
really a massive procrastination. I should have been doing all the work
that I've done since (well, some of it anyway). At least I seem to have
the knack of procrastinating productively.

So - having looked through the other responses posted to the ofcom site
- where my original blog post was re-posted, I think something much
  more recommendation-like and less rant-like is in order.

How about something short and relatively simple like this:

-------------------------
The founding of a Public Service Publisher (PSP) is an opportunity to
make a significant ongoing investment in the vast landscape of publicly
owned knowledge and the public knowledge infrastructures already
developing on the Net.

We, the undersigned would like to see the PSP joining the international
communities of individuals, organisations and enlightened states
investing in:

- Free, Libre and Open Source (FLOSS) technologies and systems.
- Advocacy and educational initiatives about viable alternatives to
  restrictive Intellectual Property (IP) for publicly funded projects.
- Advocacy and educational initiatives for people, companies, local
  government and organisations to publish their materials and public
  data in open, traversable formats, using open APIs.
- Decentralized systems for the distribution of data and metadata (peer
  to peer systems) for publicly funded and user generated content.
- Open Source Semantic Web services and infrastructures for greater
  association and interlinking and searching of online resources.

We feel that the PSP could have a vital role in addressing the strategic
concerns of the Net as a global and national infrastructure; exploring
and protecting the educational, commercial and societal possibilities of
what 'public service' might mean in this new context.

--
The People Speak   | 17-25 Cremer St.  London E2 8HD | http://theps.net
studio +44 (0)20 71007915 | saul: +44 (0)7941 255210 | ms at theps.net