[okfn-discuss] OFCOM Public Service Publisher (PSP) consultation response

Michael Holloway michael at openrightsgroup.org
Tue Mar 20 13:17:44 UTC 2007

I took some brief notes on this very-encouraging consultation paper last
night (using ORG's wiki cos confused by markup language on FCUK), but may
not have time to summarise beyond the Executive Summary...
http://www.openrightsgroup.org/orgwiki/index.php/Ofcom_PSP_Consultation_March_2007#Next_steps

FYI input sought in particular on:

   - The appropriate nature of intervention in the digital media age, and
   the balance between TV and non-TV forms of public service content
   distribution
   - The potential role of the PSP and its creative remit
   - The operating model – in particular, the approach to rights
   management
   - The scale of funding required.

For ORG's, the main areas for comment are:

1. Licensing: encouraging best practice for sharing and reuse

2. Internationalisation: if PSP is to be truly open, content must be open to
all nations, not merely UK taxpayer (i.e. must avoid Creative Archive
experience). Better to see the PSP as one node on a global network, such
that investment now will bring net benefit to UK public in time

3. PSP can help the move away from 20th century's 'Broadcast' model
and production companies / content creators by contributing to
an architecture of participation
Pleased this is coming together now...

--
Michael H Holloway