[okfn-discuss] What Do We Mean by Componentization (for Knowledge)?

Prodromos Tsiavos p.tsiavos at lse.ac.uk
Wed May 2 09:57:38 UTC 2007

I think that Rufus's essay is particularly important for informing the way
in which we design solutions to support OK artefacts. All I would like to
add is that we may want to think of adding a fifth principle (or make a
variation of the incremental principle) so that we focus more on the
properties an OK artefact itself should concentrate:

For instance, I would add that the Open Knowledge artefact should always be
potentially unfinished or open.

In the first version of the essay it is not clear to me, whether Rufus
refers to 'open' under incremental in terms of open participation or 'open'
in terms of an artefact that is susceptible to continuous improvements/
additions. I guess that the more 'completed' or 'self-standing' an artefact
is, the less it is possible to be an OK artefact. I would even go to the
extent of arguing that the way the artefact is structured frames subsequent
OK development interactions: for instance the way in which the artefact is
atomized (it is not all artefacts that are atomized in the same way or even
are susceptible to atomization) to a great extent influences the development
routines.

To state it differently, is it enough to focus on the development process as
if all artefacts are capable of being subjected to OK principles? Is the
development process going to 'contaminate' the artefact and make it open or
are there properties in an artefact that make it a bad candidate for OK
development? and if there are such properties, are they essential or
accidental?

In overall, I would be very interested if someone disagrees or has a
different take on the whole issue or even thinks that the point is so
obvious that there is no need to discuss it at all.

thnx
pRo