[okfn-discuss] Re: Open data licensing

Paul Miller Paul.Miller at talis.com
Tue May 29 08:31:55 UTC 2007

On 28/5/07 17:09, Rufus Pollock wrote:

> Paul Miller wrote:
>> Nate, all
>>
>> In a previous role, I funded some research to look at the applicability of
>> CC to (UK) public sector resources.
>>
>> The report, from 2005, is here - http://www.intrallect.com/cie-study/
>
> Thanks for the pointer Paul -- I remember taking a look at this when it
> first came out. What really hits me on a re-read is the excellence of
> its basic recommendations (included below) which are simple, clear and
> very much in line with the philosophy of the Open Knowledge Definition.

Agreed. And I'm disappointed that more wasn't done with the results by the
commissioning organisations after I left. I'd certainly be keen to see some
of the more practical findings and recommendations carried forward, as -I'm
sure - would the authors.

At the time, I think the seemingly simple first recommendation you cite was
in many ways the most radical and important; that the presumption move from
one of making a conscious decision to open a resource toward one in which
resources were automatically open unless a conscious and defensible decision
were actively made to restrict. Those of you with any involvement in
Government can doubtless imagine the shock with which THAT was greeted back
in 2005, despite FoI etc...  ;-)

Paul

--
Dr Paul Miller
Senior Manager & Technology Evangelist, Talis

Find out more about Talis at  www.talis.com
Shared InnovationTM

Any views or personal opinions expressed within this email may not be those of Talis Information Ltd. The content of this email message and any files that may be attached are confidential, and for the usage of the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient, then please return this message to the sender and delete it. Any use of this e-mail by an unauthorised recipient is prohibited.

Talis Information Ltd is a member of the Talis Group of companies and is registered in England No 3638278 with its registered office at Knights Court, Solihull Parkway, Birmingham Business Park, B37 7YB.