[okfn-discuss] OKCon 2008

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu Nov 29 12:37:03 UTC 2007

Saul Albert wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 06:45:35PM -0800, Jonathan Gray wrote:
>> For the record, third iteration of draft announce for next OKCon is
>> inline below.
>
> Hey, Jonathan - that's brilliant. Informative, attractive, concise. Well
> done!
>
> I reckon that's ready to go.
>
> Cheers, and thanks for all your work on this!

Ditto here. I've just got a couple of fixes. Rather than going on
another comment + new version loop i've just made the changes direct and
put the new version below. I hope this should be pretty much final.

I've also updated the wiki page substantially so its clear how people
submit proposals and volunteer to help out.

That leaves one final question: how do we handle registrations? Last
year we used our bespoke MoinMoin pluguin that just saved names + emails
to a text file. While this works ok it does make it hard to manage stuff
as you go along. Couple of possible options:

1. Use something like EventBrite (its free plus one can do charging
through it -- though this isn't of much relevance we charge on the door)

2. Use mailman -- this might seem weird but basically signing up to a
mailing list is pretty much the same as signing up to the event. Mailman
has reasonable for facilities for subscribing and unsubscribing plus it
makes it very easy to send emails to the registrants.

What do people think? We need to sort this out sharpish as it needs to
be in place before we do the mail out (unless we don't mind putting up a
notice saying register later -- but that's not so great as we lose all
the immediate effects).

OKCon Announce and CFP (v1.0b2)