[okfn-discuss] Open Data Commons Database licence (draft) now out

Jordan Hatcher's lists lists at twitchgamer.net
Mon Oct 1 10:34:22 UTC 2007

On 27 Sep 2007, at 16:53, Jordan Hatcher's lists wrote:

> On 27 Sep 2007, at 13:15, Rufus Pollock wrote:
>>

>> 3. Making available derivative works
>>
>> Similar to the previous point I also think one might want to make
>> explicit that one cannot restrict access to the data by providing
>> some form of limited interface (this might best go in s4.6). For
>> example someone might make a derivative DB but put it behind a
>> search form that only allowed people a limited query rate. Thus I
>> think it might be worthwhile to have something related to the
>> 'Access' provision (no 1) of the OKD which states:
>>
>> "The work shall be available as a whole and at no more than a
>> reasonable reproduction cost, preferably downloading via the
>> Internet without charge. The work must also be available in a
>> convenient and modifiable form."
>>
>> (obviously this can't apply to the work being licensed but it can
>> be used as part of the share-alike provision to affect the
>> behaviour of those making derivative works).
>>
>> ~rufus
> I'll have to have a think about this one a bit more.
>
> Thanks!
>
> ~Jordan

Thought about it a bit more. I wonder if there are some practical
problems for such a clause, especially with really large databases.
Isn't a limited query rate necessary in some circumstances? If so,
and it is a requirement that the database be available for download,
isn't that a pretty big burden for really large databases?

I would be interested to hear from anyone with a web services or
technical background about what to watch out for in any restrictions
on how (or if) the DB must be made available.

Thanks!

~Jordan

____
Mr. Jordan S Hatcher, JD, LLM

jordan at opencontentlawyer dot com
OC Blog: http://opencontentlawyer.com
IP/IT Blog: http://twitchgamer.net

Open Data Commons
http://www.opencontentlawyer.com/open-data/

Usage of Creative Commons by cultural heritage organisations
http://www.eduserv.org.uk/foundation/studies/cc2007