[okfn-discuss] Public mirrors of Open Content archives

Evan Prodromou evan at prodromou.name
Mon Apr 7 17:06:42 UTC 2008

My name is Evan Prodromou, and I'm the founder of a wiki Web site called
Vinismo.com. Vinismo is the Free wine guide -- we have more than 20,000
articles on wines, wineries, and wine regions around the world.

	http://vinismo.com/

Our site is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike
Canada 2.5 license. We make full-site data dumps available in HTML and
XML format, as well as tarballs for our image files:

        http://vinismo.com/download/

We also build some RDF data about wines (it's a red wine, it contains
such-and-such a grape, it costs so many dollars in the US or Australia
or Canada or wherever, etc.), which can be derived from the above dumps,
but which we'll soon be providing in a separate data dump, too.

My plan is to have vinismo.com alive and well forever and ever. But
plans don't always work out as we'd like. It would be great for my peace
of mind, and for all our contributors, to know that our data was being
archived somewhere safe and independent from the Vinismo site. Making Open
Content, it's important to make sure it sticks around for someone else
to use.

Let me be clear that my bandwidth and storage needs are fine, and that I
of course have redundant off-site backups. This kind of mirroring is more of
a social issue than a technical one. Mirrors like this are common in the Free
Software world.

I'd hoped that this was what CKAN was about, but apparently it's more of a
directory than an archive network. Is there any service out there that mirrors
Open Knowledge data sets?

-Evan