[okfn-discuss] workshop on emergent democracy // tuesday 19 august in shoreditch

charlesarmstrong charles at circus-foundation.org
Tue Aug 19 01:32:58 UTC 2008

hallo rufus

you make some substantial points so apologies for what is bound to be
an inadequate response at this hour.

- i do not assert a causal relationship between technological
innovation and new organisational forms, i merely observe that there
are clear connections between the phenomena.
- by background and temperament i am an ethnographer. i tend to base
speculation about the future upon past observation. i've never yet
encountered a society that didn't concentrate authority in some manner
so i don't expect that to change. the communities where i've seen
highest levels of participation in formal democratic processes were
(surprise surprise) in small towns in northern california but i think
they are probably exceptional. when i try to imagine an emergent
democratic system operating in practice i still see 95% of people
taking only occasional interest in decision-making. but there does
seem to be a certain proportion of the citizenry who are motivated to
take on more responsibility than the current system permits them. for
me the key thing is not how many people are involved in decision-
making, but how easy it is for someone who decides they want to get
involved to start doing so, and the way they are able to start
exerting influence.

in hosting the event tonight i'm not seeking to forge a consensus,
rather to hear a bunch of interesting people with different ideas talk
about their work and maybe start to spot some patterns emerging. now
bed!

best : charles

custodian // CIRCUS foundation
www.CIRCUS-foundation.org