[okfn-discuss] LCSH site is taken down

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Tue Dec 23 12:10:09 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 5:54 PM, Jonathan Gray <jonathan.gray at okfn.org> wrote:
> Ed Summers' site LCSH - which explored how Library of Congress Subject
> Headings could be represented as a Semantic Web application - has been
> taken down.
>
>  http://lcsh.info/2008/12/19/uncool-uris/

I hadn't seen this -- really interesting. Would be nice if it were
clearer why it had been taken down: is it IPR issues or just the fact
that the LoC saw it as competition for their own free services?

Even better the comments led me on to this:

<http://www.daveyp.com/blog/archives/528>
<http://library.hud.ac.uk/data/usagedata/>

The University of Huddersfield releasing a huge bunch of book usage
data under the Open Data Commons/CCZero licence just over a week ago!
(This was on Open Access News but I somehow missed it). We should
definitely blog this I think.

And ICONCLASS - Multilingual Thematic Classification as a big RDF dump:

<http://iconclass.info/>

These are two more items that should be in CKAN (and people we should
contact about the open data buttons -- and in the 2nd case putting a
proper licence on).