[okfn-discuss] Wikipedia Loves Art at the V&A in February]

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Tue Dec 23 15:46:52 UTC 2008

Jordan Hatcher's lists wrote:
> Wouldn't CC-BY instead of CC-BY-SA be preferable,

Interesting question. All the works to be photographed will be public
domain, so I suppose ideally the photographs would be public domain as
well.

Asserting any copyright on the images at all might therefore look like
rightswashing. But we haven't had a Bridgeman vs. Corel here, and all
the museums I've checked here swear blind that they hold copyright on
*their* photographic reproductions of their public domain works.

From a Wikipedia point of view I assume BY-SA is being used so that the
images can be used with Wikipedia when it goes BY-SA. Which is better
than them being FDL. ;-)

- Rob.