[okfn-discuss] CC-Zero dissected

Jordan Hatcher's lists lists at twitchgamer.net
Fri Feb 1 16:47:23 UTC 2008

Rufus pointed out to me the other day that I should post some OKF
related goings on to the list. This is about the new CCZero licence.
The new CCZero licence is out, and you can read my thoughts here:

<http://www.opencontentlawyer.com/2008/01/16/dissecting-cczero/>

The major points (also posted to cc-licenses):

-- (Just a note/comment) this is based on US law and isn't an
'unported' version. Is the unported template for internationalization
the Science Commons protocol?
-- Waiver of moral rights and the conversation we've been having
about CC v3.01
-- There is no sign up process like the current public domain
dedication -- Why not? I'd think that a 'signed writing' would be
needed or at least desired. Does this process fit that requirement?
If not, do you think some email process should be there?
-- Are patents and trademarks included in the waiver? If not,
shouldn't they be specifically excluded as the text of the waiver is
fairly broad? If they are, why? It isn't required as part of the
protocol.
-- Is there really a need to waive claims of unfair competition and
privacy when you are explicitly giving commercial enterprises and
others the right to use your work?
-- Does the legal code intend to cover database rights?  If so, I
suggest wording that tracks the directive closely.
-- The human readable summary of the waiver doesn't include moral
rights or database rights. This should probably be adjusted to match
both the sign up process and the legal code.

Thanks!

~Jordan

J S Hatcher
opencontentlawyer.com