[okfn-discuss] Taking the Open Service Definition to 1.0

Masayuki Hatta mhatta at mhatta.org
Thu Jul 10 20:19:14 UTC 2008

Hi,

> Just when it looked like we had consensus! That said, I think that
> Open Network Service Definition is still the front-runner. In the
> interests of closing this out if I don't hear any more comments by
> tomorrow evening I'm going to assume that overall everyone is happy
> to go with ONSD.

I don't want to be a sticker, but I'd rather like to vote for OSSD
(Open Software Service Definition).

Rationale:

0) As Patrick already mentioned, we are talking about "Software (as a)
Service" in general.  Network is not necessarily involved, even if
it's currently the most popular style of usage.  Face-to-face services
can be claimed as "Software Service".

1) The expression "Network Service" is kinda confusing, since it
sounds like some kind of ISPs or network providers.  I believe those
are not really the primal target of this definition.  "Software
Service" might be equally confusing, vague one, but AFAIK it is
generally used to indicate some kind of service providers which use
software.  I think some portion of those are the intended users of the
definition.

2) As Evan already mentioned, Open Network Service Definition is kinda
confusing since it's not clear whether this is about the Definition of
Open Network Services or Service Definition for Open Network(well,
OSSD might be confusing anyway.  This is the weakest argument).

3) Software = Data + Code (For Thorsten ;-)

4) OSSD looks similar to OSD.  It might introduce confusion, for sure,
but I think it also provides a sense of continuity.  Another "S" will
indicate that OSSD is one jump ahead of OSD ;-)

Those are my 2 cents. It's all up to you now.

Best regards,
MH

--
Masayuki Hatta
Graduate School of Economics, The University of Tokyo

http://www.mhatta.org/

mhatta at grad.e.u-tokyo.ac.jp / mhatta at mhatta.org
mhatta at gnu.org / mhatta at debian.org / mhatta at opensource.jp