[okfn-discuss] Taking the Open Service Definition to 1.0

Mike Linksvayer ml at creativecommons.org
Mon Jul 14 15:56:32 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 5:37 AM, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:
> Great. It seems there is consensus. I've updated the page (and renamed
> it) and I think we can now officially launch the Open Software Service
> Definition (OSSD):
>
>   <http://www.opendefinition.org/ossd/>

Congratulations!

Well, I guess it is too late, but I don't get "software service".
John Bywater wrote a few days ago 'Yet overall, I do feel the name
"software service" is much more common than "network service", and as
such a much better thing to conjoin with "open" and "definition".'

Not if you check authoritative sources, like Google and Wikipedia. :)

This is the first I've heard of "software service" to mean SaaS, as
opposed to some kind of professional service around software or a
daemon running locally.  By contrast, "network service" is crystal
clear.  Maybe SaaS will naturally collapse to "software service" and
this will be moot.  Hopefully this definition will be wildly
successful and help make that happen.

Mike