[okfn-discuss] [ohf-licenses] [open-hw] Classification of openhardware

David Joyner wdjoyner at gmail.com
Wed May 14 02:00:52 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 9:34 PM, Jonathan Gray <jonathan.gray at okfn.org> wrote:
> Thanks Greg - this is very helpful!
>
>  Apart from questions of the optimum license for open hardware designs,
>  instructions, specifications etc. - I wonder what list members think of
>  the notion of a 'definition' of open hardware which would give criteria
>  for which licenses (or other legal tools) count as such. This would be
>  much like the Open Source Definition, or the Free Software Definition.
>
>  I suspect if we are largely talking about material that is
>  copyrightable, then our Open Knowledge Definition should be adequate for
>  this purpose - if consensus is reached in the open hardware community.
>

>    http://opendefinition.org/1.0
>
>  (Note, for example, the acceptability of Attribution and Sharealike
>  provisions, and the unacceptability of restrictions on certain kinds of
>  re-use, e.g. commercial use or making derivative works.)
>
>  Perhaps we might make make a further document which is more specific to
>  open hardware - specifying what we mean by this, and detailing any
>  further hardware specific points that are not covered in the OKD.
>
>  We've done something a little bit like this in our Open Service
>  Definition - a deliberately very minimal definition of an open service,
>  for SaaS (Software as a Service).
>
>  The Open Knowledge Foundation would be very happy to host and/or mirror
>  any work of this nature. That's what we're here for!
>
>  An open hardware definition could be useful as different groups or
>  individuals might favour slightly different licenses, or may want to
>  create their own. While license proliferation is something that we
>  probably do not want to encourage - presumably a certain amount of
>  choice is a good thing, rather that prescribing a single license. In
>  which case it might be good to have something like a standard.
>
>  What do people think?

My first thought is to ask someone from Sun Microsystems to comment.
They have open sourced a chip and have put thought into the matter. Maybe
Bill Vass http://blogs.sun.com/BVass/ could comment or provide a reference.
I think the rough idea is that the schematics (eg, those submitted
with the patent) would
have to be open source documents. I could be wrong though. This doesn't stop
them from patenting the device, so it really seems to me that an open
source hardware license
is a much different legal instrument. If you have GPL'd software then
someone can modify
it and redistribute under the GPL. You can license your hardware "open source"
but it seems to me that modifying it, making your own version, and
redistributing could
violate a patent. I'm not a lawyer and really don't know, but I'd be
happy to be corrected
on this point.