[okfn-discuss] Summer of Content 2009

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Wed May 21 11:27:06 UTC 2008

Benj. Mako Hill wrote:
>> It's waaaay too late to make this work for 2008, but it would be
>> interesting to do for Summer 2009. It would probably be possible to get,
>> say, $50K in donations and have 10 $5K stipends granted.
>
> SJ Klein has been working on this as well.  You should talk. He's CCed
> here.

Just to follow up with this - we are still keen to get involved with any
further efforts along these lines. We were tied in fairly late in the
day last time:

http://blog.okfn.org/2007/08/16/summer-of-content-launch/
http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/okfn-discuss/2007-August/000503.html
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Summer_of_Content_organizations#Open_Knowledge_Foundation

We also worked a bit on documentation for licensing - though I think
some of our contributions may have been superseded:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Licensing
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC:License

As an aside I wonder whether it could be worth mentioning the Open
Knowledge Definition (opendefinition.org) in addition to the Definition
of Free Cultural Works as it also addresses data - not just cultural
works or copyrightable content.

It would be great if the OKF could be more involved next time around.
Though we're probably not in much of a position to commit funds, I think
we'd be happy to co-organise.

I'm not entirely sure what happened to the last time - but it would be
great to read about what happened and which projects were developed!

Jonathan